main dining room

Mushroom

Newbie questions. Going on Harmony (first time with RCL).

1. I understand there are 3 main dining restaurants. One is for fixed time and the other two are for my-time-dining. We signed up for fixed

time. If I am interested in visiting the other 2 dining rooms, am I still allowed to go even I didn’t sign up for my-time-dining? Do I need reservation?

2. First night – I have reservation for a show at 7:30 pm and I guess we should arrive at 7 to get good seats. Can I make it if I eat in the main dining room? What about Solarium Bistro? Or would you suggest just go to the buffet?

3. If we don’t want to eat in the main dining room on any given night, do we have to call someone to request that?

Thank you!

Just now, Mushroom said:

Newbie questions. Going on Harmony (first time with RCL).

1. I understand there are 3 main dining restaurants. One is for fixed time and the other two are for my-time-dining. We signed up for fixed

time. If I am interested in visiting the other 2 dining rooms, am I still allowed to go even I didn’t sign up for my-time-dining? Do I need reservation?

2. First night – I have reservation for a show at 7:30 pm and I guess we should arrive at 7 to get good seats. Can I make it if I eat in the main dining room? What about Solarium Bistro? Or would you suggest just go to the buffet?

3. If we don’t want to eat in the main dining room on any given night, do we have to call someone to request that?

Thank you!

1. Not likely, but they all serve the same food, so there's no reason to visit the other two except from a design perspective. Breakfast will be served in one of them as well as lunch on sea days, so that might be a way to see them if those meals, which are open seating, are served there. 

2. Are you early seating main dining? If so, it could be tight, but just let your serving know that you need to be done by 7 to make the show. 

3. No, but if you're at a table with others, it is helpful to let your server know so that they don't hold up service waiting for you. 

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

Breakfast will be served in one of them as well as lunch on sea days, so that might be a way to see them if those meals, which are open seating, are served there. 

So in the MDR, breakfast all cruise and lunch on sea days are always open seating? Are you still seated by a host or hostess, or do you just go grab a seat?

3 minutes ago, FManke said:

So in the MDR, breakfast all cruise and lunch on sea days are always open seating? Are you still seated by a host or hostess, or do you just go grab a seat?

Open seating and you are seated by a host/hostess and you can request a table just for your party. I prefer the Windjammer for breakfast, but the dining room for lunch. They have dinner very good dishes and an amazing salad bar. 

In some European itineraries with late departures or over nights in port, dinner will also be open seating. 

5 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Open seating and you are seated by a host/hostess and you can request a table just for your party. I prefer the Windjammer for breakfast, but the dining room for lunch. They have dinner very good dishes and an amazing salad bar. 

In some European itineraries with late departures or over nights in port, dinner will also be open seating. 

MDR will be a must for us on sea days. I agree about breakfast though. Was not impressed with the menu.

1 minute ago, FManke said:

MDR will be a must for us on sea days. I agree about breakfast though. Was not impressed with the menu.

They omlet station is my go to place in the Windjammer. Whatever you do, stay away from the precooked eggs. If you want scrambled eggs, get them at the omlet station. The fried eggs are safe, however. 

3 minutes ago, DocLC said:

They omlet station is my go to place in the Windjammer. Whatever you do, stay away from the precooked eggs. If you want scrambled eggs, get them at the omlet station. The fried eggs are safe, however. 

I've even heard the omelet station is the go to place for scrambled eggs, just not omelet. Just get a scramble with omelet ingredients if you want.

1 hour ago, Sarah said:

I love the Main Dining Room for breakfast - far more relaxed than the Windjammer, and serves what I like

I completely agree with regards to atmosphere and being served, but I find the omlets and selection better in the WJ. 

57 minutes ago, Floski said:

I think I read that the winjammehr on Oasis doesn't have an omelet station.

I hope that's not true, cause big boy loves him a good ham/chz/shroom omelet!

It's true. The there is no omelet station in the Windjammer. However, there is one in the Wipe Out Cafe, just below on Deck 15.