Tracy Arm Fjord - Alaska question

I've tried to find out, but is there a certain time of year that you can't get up close to the glacier at the end?  I saw a video where Carnival had an excursion to go there, but the water was melted of ice, and I'm assuming RCL has an excursion off the ship to go to the glacier?

Is there a time of year this excursion doesn't run and can't get to the glacier?

Any advice for booking a future AK cruise would be helpful.

Thank you!

We did the excursion at Endicott Arm in August. I can't speak for Tracy but I'd imagine they are similar. Although I have heard Tracy can be much too icy for the ship to get close enough and the excursion gets cancelled. In our Endicott experience, the smaller boat used for the excusrsion easily maneuvered around the ice. Ovation stayed maybe a mile or so back. Hope this helps because it is a fantastic excursion. Wouldn't have even noticed it on the CP if we hadn't seen it mentioned here at RCB. 

We did not get to even to into the fjord/glacier on my September cruise on Quantum of the Seas. This was at Enicott/Dawes Glacier. We didn't have plans to stop or let people off but it was a "sea" day so we had to just turn around due to ice and fog. 

We went through the Tracy Arm Fjord on Brilliance in May, and on the loud speaker when we got to the glacier we were told that was the closest they were able to get to the glacier in 2 years.  Whoever it was on the loudspeaker (maybe the captain?) made it out to be a pretty big deal.   So I think it is all luck as stated above.  We had an amazing view of the glacier, but Brilliance is also a smaller ship.  There was no excursion to get off the ship at the glacier.  The ship just goes through the fjord then makes a turn and goes back out.  It was a wonderful morning just being out on our balcony though!

On 11/1/2023 at 10:48 PM, WackyCactus said:

I've tried to find out, but is there a certain time of year that you can't get up close to the glacier at the end?  I saw a video where Carnival had an excursion to go there, but the water was melted of ice, and I'm assuming RCL has an excursion off the ship to go to the glacier?

This is a two-part question. 

Are there times when the weather prevents getting close to the Tracy Arm glacier?  Oh, I imagine bad weather could prevent just about anything, regardless of the time of year.  We did it in July and it was marvelous.

An excursion, off the ship?  This area is rugged.  Maybe some ships have tenders that they could run to the glacier, but this is hard for me to imagine. It certainly was not offered on Explorer of the Seas.

20180717-082550.jpg

1 hour ago, WAYNO said:

An excursion, off the ship?

Yes. A small boat came along side almost as if tendering. Excursion guests left the ship to the smaller boat that went to the glace face. The smaller boat met Ovation as it docked in port and excursion passengers offloaded back onto Ovation. You can see how far away Ovation really was from the glacier face. The small boat gets very close. 

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3259.jpeg

IMG_3261.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

Yes. A small boat came along side almost as if tendering. Excursion guests left the ship to the smaller boat that went to the glace face. The smaller boat met Ovation as it docked in port and excursion passengers offloaded back onto Ovation. You can see how far away Ovation really was from the glacier face. The small boat gets very close. 

Are you still speaking of Tracy Arm?

6 hours ago, WackyCactus said:

Wow, thank you all for these amazing responses and pictures.  It sounds like Endicott is the place to go if I want to get closer to the glacier for pictures and viewing.  Thank you, again!!!

Close is relative.  The Tracy Arm Glacier is huge, and I thought we were quite close.  The ship, Explorer, stayed on scene with a great view, and spun cookies in place, so everybody on the ship had absolutely great views of the glacier, and of the entire area, start to finish.   I do not believe there is any bad choice.🤩

20180717-081456.jpg

20180717-082530.jpg

ANKt35q-TOvy-Wt-Jkux-Xq-Gx-M7-BF0nah3-FC

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, Sea Squirrel said:

How was the process getting onto yhe smaller boat? Wonder if it is a large step or difficult for people with minor mobility issues?

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3259.jpeg

IMG_3261.jpeg