Bar Harbor cruise limits

RCIfan1912

So yesterday was I think our 3rd time to Bar Harbor Maine on different cruises but basically the same itinerary and it sounds like the last from what we were hearing. I guess there is a 1,000 passenger plus crew limit per day. That pretty much eliminates 99% of cruise ships. I don't full understand it as man cruise passengers were spending money. We spent probably 200 bucks. 100 just on lunch at a local restaurant. 125 with tip of you want to count that. 

And it's funny but oh over a year ago we saw this itinerary but instead of Bar Harbor it does Sydney Nova Scotia which we booked right away because it's different. That is not why Royal Caribbean changed it out though. It's this cruise limit. 

I mean in the end I really don't want to sail somewhere we are not welcome so whatever. I feel bad for the businesses there though, they are going to lose revenue for sure. From the shops to the restaurants to the tender boats it's a loss. Looking forward to Sydney Nova Scotia though. We already have an excursion booked and we gonna have lunch in town so it's there gain. 

Our our cruise in Aug. RC dropped Bar Harbor, and we added an overnight in St. John, NB... so glad that they did this- we loved the place, loved having dinner out instead of lunch (as we do in most ports). The people were so kind, there was a surprising amount to do (loved our whale watch excursion and the BEST OF ST. JOHN tour).

All in all, a win in our book!

1 hour ago, toddpop said:

Our our cruise in Aug. RC dropped Bar Harbor, and we added an overnight in St. John, NB... so glad that they did this- we loved the place, loved having dinner out instead of lunch (as we do in most ports). The people were so kind, there was a surprising amount to do (loved our whale watch excursion and the BEST OF ST. JOHN tour).

Oh my God yes! We absolutely love, LOVE Saint John New Brunswick! I would be happy with this move as well. We are looking forward to Sydney. I bet other ports will step up and Bar Harbor unfortunately will lose. 

I loved Bar Harbor for its unique scenery and small town vibe. Loved going on the excursions up the mountain, or just hiking and taking in the natural beauty.

But…I hated the tender experience. Sometimes it would go smooth and the wait wasn’t too bad. But, most of the time there were delays and the lines would grow. Or after finally boarding an available tender…just sitting there waiting until they filled it before casting off. Which, on such large boats could take quite a bit of time. They usually hire whale watching boats to act as tenders and they can hold quite a few passengers on two decks.

I’ve been following the news regarding the opposition to cruisers despoiling their pretty little town with our presence. In my opinion…it has less to do with a cruise ship’s emissions while sitting in the harbor (a convenient bugaboo) and more about the strange outworlders walking around the area turning their seemingly bucolic village into a bustling tourism economic driver.

They apparently do not need the dollars that come in from cruise ships. They are not as reliant on this income as are so many other cruise ports. I believe there are many residents who want to cut the cruise cord before their economy does become trapped by being inexorably tethered to this revenue stream. That’s their choice. Oh, well.

By the way…I love Saint John NB!….and St. John’s Newfoundland! Both beautiful ports with wonderful people!

2 hours ago, toddpop said:

That is an interesting idea actually as we are gonna be in St. John's late, I think 10 PM. What restaurant or restaurants do you go to? Any suggestions? We might try that since we are there so late. They except American money or I guess we could just use our debit card, that probably be easier?  

4 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

That is an interesting idea actually as we are gonna be in St. John's late, I think 10 PM. What restaurant or restaurants do you go to? Any suggestions? We might try that since we are there so late. They except American money or I guess we could just use our debit card, that probably be easier?  

We ate at the seafood restaurant just across the street from the cruise port... Steamers Seafood is the name. My wife had a lobster roll, and I had fried clams- both were very good. There are more restaurants just the next block up the hill, that look like they would be worth checking out. There are a number of places within easy walking distance.

Enjoy!

30 minutes ago, toddpop said:

We ate at the seafood restaurant just across the street from the cruise port... Steamers Seafood is the name. My wife had a lobster roll, and I had fried clams- both were very good. There are more restaurants just the next block up the hill, that look like they would be worth checking out. There are a number of places within easy walking distance.

Enjoy!

Thank you. I think this is a great idea. We are there from 8:30 to 8:30 so plenty of time.