RCCL Corkage Fee

PineappleT

If my husband and I brought a bottle of wine onboard to drink in our stateroom on our balcony, will we be charged a corkage fee? We went on an NCL cruise earlier this year and brought a bottle of wine to drink in our stateroom. The bottle of wine was purchased at a store in Port Canaveral for around $9. It was not a bottle of wine with a "cork". When we went through security at the terminal, we were told to go over to a table on the side where the crew member was going to charge us $25 for a corkage fee. He stated that all bottles of wine brought onboard had to be charged that corkage fee. Let's see, we paid $9 for a bottle of wine and NCL was going to charge us $25 for bringing it onboard to drink in our stateroom. Nope, not happening. We could have taken it back to our car until we came from the cruise, but what we did was have them to take the bottle of wine onboard and hold it for us until the last day of our cruise and it was delivered to us then. 

A corkage fee has nothing to do with whether a bottle has a cork or a twist-off cap.  The corkage fee (if it’s charged….which is very hit-or-miss) is charged for bringing a bottle onboard for which no mark-up ($$) is realized.  I have never brought a bottle of wine onboard, but it seems that the corkage fee is rarely charged….but it could be.