Cruise ship electrical plugs

Cindy58

Hi.  I am on Ovation of the Seas to Alaska soon, out of Seattle.  
Are the electrical outlets in the bathroom on the ships the same standard ones we have at home in the USA?   
I want to bring my hair dryer.  Those hotel type ones just blow my hair all over the place, I can’t style it.   
Thank you.   

3 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The electrical outlet in the bathroom is for electric shavers only (no idea what the difference is).  The electrical outlet near the vanity in the room has both a US standard as well as a European. I use this for my blow dryer.

Difference is the max current.  Most standard home US outlets are 15A or 20A but the cruise ship bathroom ones are only 6-8A (if memory serves).  That means most hair dryers will pop the breaker if used in the bathroom because they often need 12A.  It's a safety thing since the bathrooms are so small.  Can't get electrocuted by dropping a corded hair dryer into the tub if it won't turn on.

7 hours ago, steverk said:

On a related note. I was on Allure recently and discovered a US plug under the bed. Very handy for charging your phone.

All of the bathroom plugs on all ships are, in our experience, Shavers only...they are a different voltage and misuse could cause damage or just fail to work.

What is in the cabins themselves is hit and miss...Finding one near the bed, behind the bed or under the bed is a godsend for those of us who use CPAP machines for sleep apnea.  Quantum (where we'll be next week) has one next to the bed...so did our Sky Suite on Apex.  On Celebrity M-class, there's a hidden EURO plug behind the bed for the nightstand lamp.  Especially for those ships, I bring an adapter with a euro plug and both a euro outlet and a US outlet.  I unplug the lamp, insert the adapter, then plug the lamp back in to the euro and my CPAP to the US outlet.

It is smart to own a few adapters (careful--no surge protection, no cords)...some that plug into a euro outlet, some for a US...that turn the one outlet to several outlets plus USB outlets (and now, with my new iPhone, at least one USB-C outlet).  Every cabin tends to have a combination of Euro and US outlets near the desk...but not enough to plug in your cell phone, your iPad, your laptop, your camera battery charger...and the 10 or 12 other electronic devices we all now carry with us.