First Cruise in More Than 20 Years! Help!

We're sailing on the Serenade of the Seas VERY soon and for most of the group, it's a first cruise.  I have been, but it was all the way back in 2002!  As you might imagine a few things have changed since then.  I have some questions I can't seem to find answers on, so here goes - bulleted style:

• Will there for sure be a hair dryer in the cabin?
  • If you're planning on using the Royal Caribbean App while on board, do you have to be paying for internet access?  I have booked internet access, but only for one device and there are four of us.
  • Can kids (14-12) get away with wearing shorts (athletic shorts like Nike or Under Armor) in the MDR?
  • Is there a "Dress to Impress" night on a 5 night sailing?

We are super excited about the trip, these were just a few things I have not run across answers to...

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, ShowMeVegas said:

Will there for sure be a hair dryer in the cabin?

Yes, but it's pretty underpowered. FWIW, my wife would never rely on it.  But if you have light needs for the dyer, yes, it will be there.

If you're planning on using the Royal Caribbean App while on board, do you have to be paying for internet access?

No, app and chat works without a wifi package

Can kids (14-12) get away with wearing shorts (athletic shorts like Nike or Under Armor) in the MDR?

Yes, dress code isnt enforced

Is there a "Dress to Impress" night on a 5 night sailing?

Yes, one formal night

2 hours ago, ShowMeVegas said:

We're sailing on the Serenade of the Seas VERY soon and for most of the group, it's a first cruise.  I have been, but it was all the way back in 2002!  As you might imagine a few things have changed since then.  I have some questions I can't seem to find answers on, so here goes - bulleted style:

• Will there for sure be a hair dryer in the cabin?
  • If you're planning on using the Royal Caribbean App while on board, do you have to be paying for internet access?  I have booked internet access, but only for one device and there are four of us.
  • Can kids (14-12) get away with wearing shorts (athletic shorts like Nike or Under Armor) in the MDR?
  • Is there a "Dress to Impress" night on a 5 night sailing?

We are super excited about the trip, these were just a few things I have not run across answers to...

Thanks in advance!

One of the biggest changes in the past 20 years is how much more casual the dress is.  20 years ago, you would have seen a significant percentage of Men wearing tuxedos, now I would doubt you will see more than a few, if any.  People still dress up, but it's much more optional, and you will see some in shorts, jeans, etc, even on "formal" night.  

1 hour ago, Matt said:
2 hours ago, ShowMeVegas said:

Is there a "Dress to Impress" night on a 5 night sailing?

Yes, one formal night

How do I find out which night it is?  I've perused the app, logged in on a computer, everything... Will we just find out after we board?  I'd like to make my specialty dining reservations around it.

Thanks for all your help!

14 minutes ago, ShowMeVegas said:

How do I find out which night it is?  I've perused the app, logged in on a computer, everything... Will we just find out after we board?  I'd like to make my specialty dining reservations around it

You will need to wait until the day before to be absolutely sure but there are a couple of ways to make a better-than educated guess.  Best bet is to see if you can find a cruise compass for your itinerary on Serenade, it will likely be the same night on every cruise.  As a backup, look at the MDR menu and your itinerary.  Dress to impress night will usually be a sea day and the "royal night" (lobster tail night) on the menu.