Juneau Jumble? Mendenhall Mess?

deep1

First they stopped the blue bus runs to Mendenhall. Ok people booked alternates that include other activities or others choosing to rent cars or hire taxis.  Now we had some dam break and flood the area. On other social media I saw at least a kayak tour was cancelled but didn't see what date it was for. I'd imagine that more cancellations have happened or will be. Anybody hear anything we could use this thread as an information pool.

It was a glacial dam that broke, ie melting glacial water overflowed and brought the Mendenhall river waters up surging, destroying 3 buildings. This is a major reason I am visiting Alaska this year instead of next, the glaciers are melting rapidly already!

When do you sail @deep1? As of now my Mendenhall kayak is still on for Sep 15. 

1 hour ago, DDaley said:

It was a glacial dam that broke, ie melting glacial water overflowed and brought the Mendenhall river waters up surging, destroying 3 buildings. This is a major reason I am visiting Alaska this year instead of next, the glaciers are melting rapidly already!

When do you sail @deep1? As of now my Mendenhall kayak is still on for Sep 15. 

Aug 28.

I found that thread over on the social media page about the Kayak cancellation. Someone asked if it was because of "timing" and that that particular excursion set for 1:15 just minutes after arrival?  So even on that thread confusion exists as to what's cancelled and what's not.

Hoping we can get some real info pertaining to that here. I had originally planned to do the blue bus. Then switched to taxi to the visitor center then hoof it to the falls.  Not sure if that can be done now????

I was up there about 20 years ago and we couldn't even turn toward Endicot due to mass calving, Icebergs and also flood issues . That trip we did a helicopter  up to the glacier that wasn't affected.