DAVE(Darkcabbie)

Going on a Cruise to Europe or the Canaries ask me a question and I will try to help

If you are going on a Cruise to Europe or the Canaries please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help and if I don't know I will try to find out for you. Obviously  I haven't  been everywhere but I will  do my best.

Ships, ports of call , UK airports, shore excursions  etc.

Hi Geema, I have just briefly looked at where your ship will dock and it looks like it will be near the Cobh Heritage Centre and if this is the case you are about 21 miles away from Blarney Castle which will take 40 min at least by veichle if the traffic is good. I will keep looking at possibilities for you but straight away I would suggest using a RC trip. The reason for this is because if it was really close to the port I would say maybe do it yourself as it would be cheaper and you are close to the ship but as is so far away from the port if there was a problem with traffic etc RC will leave you there if you not back but if you have booked with RC they have to wait. 

4 hours ago, Geema said:

Thanks. As of right now RC has no excursions for Cork but it is still real early. Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it. Come to think of it, being left in Ireland sounds pretty good!!  :8_laughing:

Does that mean you like a pint of Guinness :8_laughing:

Hi Dave, would you know anything about getting off the ship at Le Havre? What is the distance from portside to shops or places of interest? Also do you know of anything worth seeing , we have an 11 year old with us and I am not brilliant with walking distances. Hope you can help.

3 hours ago, KatyM said:

Hi Dave, would you know anything about getting off the ship at Le Havre? What is the distance from portside to shops or places of interest? Also do you know of anything worth seeing , we have an 11 year old with us and I am not brilliant with walking distances. Hope you can help.

Hi KatyM, we are actually back there next month on the Navigator Of The Seas and you will love it. 

We were also there last October on the Indy and you have many options. When you arrive in Le Havre there are local taxis right by the ship who can take you in to town or if you prefer it is about a 20 to 30 mins walk to Le Havre or you can opt for a excursion from RC which we did last time and opted for Honfleur it was beautiful in fact we have decided to do the same trip while there next month. It is a local harbour with great shops and restaurants and a fantastic medieval church which is a must see. the nice thing about this trip is that it is affordable and only lasts about 4 hours so you get back to the ship with plenty of time to explore Le Havre if you wish or just chill out on board till sail off. We also opted for the same trip again as it was so lovely we cant wait to see it in the height of summer, there is also an option for Deauville which is also a good option as it has a promenade and beach huts that are named after a list celebs and a great beach.

Another nice thing about this port of call is that you get ages there as we don't sail till 21:00 

Hope this helps and if you need any more info please just ask.

On 6/30/2017 at 11:41 AM, Geema said:

Hi Dave. We are taking our 1st transatlantic cruise next April. One of our ports in Cork, Ireland. We want to go to Blarney Castle. Any suggestion on transportation there and back? TIA

An organized tour will be your easiest and cheapest bet. Something like eCoaches at roughly 40 Euros will include your admission tour of Cork, and a stop in Kinsale for lunch if you opt for the all day tour.

If you want to spend the whole day at Blarney Castle, then I'd look into booking private transport.

8 hours ago, DocLC said:

An organized tour will be your easiest and cheapest bet. Something like eCoaches at roughly 40 Euros will include your admission tour of Cork, and a stop in Kinsale for lunch if you opt for the all day tour.

If you want to spend the whole day at Blarney Castle, then I'd look into booking private transport.

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Dave ,

We are cruising on Vision of the Seas med and greek isles 25 th July 18. Was looking at shore excursions.Do you recommend booking with RC before cruise or will there be Independent tour companies in the ports offering the same tours. We found the last time we cruised that this was the case tours were the same but a lot cheaper ,but that was in the Carribean and I wondered if it was the same in all ports ?

On 6/27/2017 at 7:29 PM, DAVE(Darkcabbie) said:

If you are going on a Cruise to Europe or the Canaries please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help and if I don't know I will try to find out for you. Obviously  I haven't  been everywhere but I will  do my best.

Ships, ports of call , UK airports, shore excursions  etc.

The Canaries ARE Europe ;-)

Hi. We are going on our first TA next April. Ports of call are Azores, Cobh, Dublin and Waterford and Amsterdam. We are flying out of Amsterdam the same day we arrive so no time there. Do you have any suggestions for the other 4 ports? I am particularly interested in Ireland as all my grandparents were born there. We would like to use local companies for excursions as the ones offered by the cruise line seem very expensive. Thanks for any help/advice.

On 10/21/2017 at 11:57 AM, Geema said:

Hi. We are going on our first TA next April. Ports of call are Azores, Cobh, Dublin and Waterford and Amsterdam. We are flying out of Amsterdam the same day we arrive so no time there. Do you have any suggestions for the other 4 ports? I am particularly interested in Ireland as all my grandparents were born there. We would like to use local companies for excursions as the ones offered by the cruise line seem very expensive. Thanks for any help/advice.

Dublin is very easy to do on your own and is very walkable. What's important, though, is to prepare tickets in advance. We did this for the Book of Kell's, the prison (which often sells out), and Guinness. 

For Cobh, we booked with eCoach and went to Blarney Castle and Kinsale. 

Hi, 

I am traveling on Symphony April 2018 to Europe, I looked at the shore excursions offered and its a bit overwhelming being that its our first time to Europe. Do you have any recommendations for the ports we are visiting?

BCN_PMI_MRS_LSP_ROM_NAP_BCN.jpg?resize=290:*

31 minutes ago, StevenM said:

Hi, 

I am traveling on Symphony April 2018 to Europe, I looked at the shore excursions offered and its a bit overwhelming being that its our first time to Europe. Do you have any recommendations for the ports we are visiting?

In La Spezia do a tour to Cinque Terre.  Don't go to Piza and/or Florence.  It's tempting, but it's far.  

cinqueterre_liguria_onedaytour.jpg

In Palma de Mallorca I did this tour: http://majorca-tours.net/escursione/valldemossa-soller-palma-vip/  I recommend it.

In Barcelona, Gaudi, Gaudi and more Gaudi.  Especially Sagrada Familia.

In Rome, we used Rome in Limo, very good: https://www.romeinlimo.com/

In Naples I recommend you go to Pompeii and then come back and eat pizza before getting back on the ship.