Anyone seeing the solar eclipse in South Carolina?

JLMoran

Figured I'd post this here as it's a non-cruising question.

I'll be in Columbia, South Carolina with my family for the solar eclipse from Aug 20 to 22. The state museum there has a special ticket passage for the eclipse day that I've bought, which includes the required safety glasses for proper viewing, reserved access to museum grounds for viewing the eclipse (from what I see, they have a nice bit of open space around the museum, no tall buildings or other obstructions), available parking, and admission to the museum and planetarium on eclipse day.

Anyone else planning to go there? Possible meet-up on the museum grounds for a group observation get-together?

I will be watching from my In-Laws house in Nebraska.  They sit directly below the center line so should be awesome.  Already have sun filters built for my telescope.  A true once-in-a-life-time experience

• 2 months later...

Yeah, so I'm actually NOT going to the eclipse. Got sick with what felt like the flu on Tuesday, cleared out by end of day Wednesday but since then I've been hacking and coughing all day and through good chunks of the night. Just canceled all my hotel bookings this morning and I'm out over $100 for those museum tickets (non-refundable).

I don't care that the weather forecast for basically all of South Carolina is going back and forth between "heavy clouds" and "scattered thunderstorms" for the afternoon when totality would hit. I'm pissed. I go to all this effort to cross off a bucket list item and I can't do it because I get a fracking bronchial infection?!?

I know there's another one coming our way in 2024, a "mere" 7 years away. Let's just say I'm feeling pessimistic right now that I'll have any better luck seeing that one. And now I'm wondering what the hell is going to come along and f*** up these two cruises I've got booked. :33_unamused: