When to place bid for Royal Up

My family and I are sailing out of Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise.  Today while browsing the RC website noticed that there was an option for Royal Up.  We didn't receive an email notifying us for Royal Up however.  When would be a good time to place a bid?  We had booked a GTY balcony.  The Royal Up options are for a Spacious Balcony, Junior Suite and Grand Suite.  Should place a bid for the spacious balcony or just the JS and GS?  We are also a family of 4 but the Royal Up is based on double occupancy.  If we win the upgrade will the room accommodate 4?  Thanks.

Do you already have a room assignment? If you don't, I wouldn't place a bid on a spacious balcony because you just never know if you might actually be assigned one under your GTY booking. It's unlikely but not impossible. And if you do already have your assignment, look closely at the locations of all the large balcony cabins to be sure you would be happy with any of them, as Royal Up is essentially like a GTY booking too.

I would like to think that the Royal Up algorithms are set up in such a way as to prevent 3 and 4 person bookings being moved into rooms that don't have sufficient capacity, not just because of the sleeping arrangements but also because of muster station availability, but who knows?

52 minutes ago, jim620 said:

I haven't received a room assignment yet so I just placed a bid for GS and JS.  If I receive a room assignment and it's not a spacious balcony can I still bid for the spacious balcony?

Yes, you absolutely can. I very recently did precisely this. I had an OV GTY so I bid only on a JS until I received my room assignment. Once I had that I added a bid for a large balcony cabin (which actually came through for me today 😁).

Once you check in, download your setsail pass to your Apple wallet or, if you have Android, use the "bar code trick" to see if your room has already been unofficially assigned. Then you'll know whether to bid on the spacious balcony.