Labadee excursions safe?

Roger F

Traveling to Labadee on board Explorer this year.  Civil and political unrest in Haiti is real with gangs controlling the cities of Port Au Prince and Cap-Haitian.   I know Labadee is isolated and appears very safe. What about excursions outside the RC property?   

You will not be able or allowed to book excursions going outside of the RC property. You have no way to exit the property. You will not be going to Port au Prince or Cap-Haitian (or any other Haitian city or region that you can think of) no matter how much you want to. This is NOT a typical port. This is much more like Perfect Day in concept. Haiti has had issues for decades. This is nothing new going on there. 

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I understand it, even excursions that leave the port (boat tours or the like) area of Labadee don't go beyond the town of Labadee.

Back in 2015 my mom did an island tour on a boat that went around the coast of Labadee. I don't actually think I've seen that excursion on more recent sailings though, so, most likely you're not even going out of site of the ship. When I did the kayaking excursion last year, we paddled to a cove basically just behind the main area of Labadee. Maybe a 15 -20 minute paddle each way. And while my under-worked muscles certainly thought we had traversed the entire island, when I turned the ship was still well in sight and I could have waved at the people on their balconies. Lol

7 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

As far as I understand it, even excursions that leave the port (boat tours or the like) area of Labadee don't go beyond the town of Labadee.

I remember back in 2018, we did an excursion that went to a small island that was practically St. Michel, which is quite a ways west of the town of Labadee. Obviously that was a few years ago now, but we were quite a long way from the cruise port and quite a long way, relatively, from the town of Labadee.