Newbie To RCL and Cruising Dining Question

HI Guys,

I am sorry if these questions have been asked before, This will by me first time every cruising and I chose to go on RCL's Harmony of the Seas Dec 2, 2017 with my SO... 

1. I am looking at the dining options and I see the BOGO 2 Night dining package but I do not see the First Night Done Right deal... Will that show up later or the fact its not showing up means it's sold out? 

2. Between doing the BOGO 2 night dining and the 3 night dining deal, which ones would you suggest? 

3. With regards to NON A-La-Carte dining, is it like the MDR where you can order as much or one of each dish? Toodle68 in another thread mentioned:
 I wanted to try all 3 sauces and you would think I had just kicked a dog. The steaks are ok, the 'shareable' sides were nothing special. Do you only pick one appetizer, side and dessert per person? I thought Matt had said you in this thread https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/08/20/5-things-you-will-love-about-royal-caribbeans-chops-grille-restaurant to order one of everything?

4. Outside of Wonderland (because my SO does not like molecular gastronomy) and Sobor (as per some people's feedback here that $19 isnt worth it) for dinner, what other non-a-la-carte dining would you recommend? 

5. for the MTD which was the only option that was available when I booked, I know someone mentioned having to check out per day... I am just wondering, does MTD reservations only open up 90 days and under in? 

Thanks in advance for your patience and replies

I have not seen the First Night Done Right on any of my cruises, but I have been able to get 20% off for dining their on the first night onboard.  Of late, however, I've just been doing the dining packages, and the savings are equivalent depending on the restaurants you choose.

I'd, personally, do the BOGO and the 3 night dining deal as I really enjoy the specialty restaurants and you have some great choices on the Harmony.  The BOGO is probably a better deal overall, but you'd have to check the math on that.  However, I'd have a hard time just picking two specialty restaurants to dine at.  If Wonderland is off the Table, I'd consider 150 Central Park and Jamie's Italian.  If you go with the 3 night package, then I'd throw in Chops.  I haven't done Izumi Hibachi and probably never will as we have similar experiences in the town where I live that are actually cheaper.

There are no limits in the MDR.  Order as much, or as little, as you wish.  We've even just gone to the MDR for dessert after having eaten elsewhere.  I've also been known to order two appetizers, or skipping them and order two entrees if I couldn't decide between the two.  Note, however, that if you order two entrees that you will receive the whole meal.  It's just easier for the servers to deliver a plate with all of its sides than to just bring the entree itself.

I've only done MTD on Royal Caribbean since 2014 and have never made a reservation in advance, so I can't help you with that one.  We like MTD for the fact that we can show up when we want and when we're hungry.  As such, we don't plan ahead on a dining time.  We've shown up as early as 5:45 and as late as 9:15 depending on the itineraries we've been on.

Welcome! Never apologize for asking questions. That's what this forum is all about.

29 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

1. I am looking at the dining options and I see the BOGO 2 Night dining package but I do not see the First Night Done Right deal... Will that show up later or the fact its not showing up means it's sold out?

Possibly, but it may not be available at all. Keep in mind that you can always book the 2 night package, and then cancel and rebook the first night done right package later if it becomes available.

30 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

. Between doing the BOGO 2 night dining and the 3 night dining deal, which ones would you suggest? 

Outside of the specialty dining packages, were you planning or thinking of eating at 3 specialty restaurants?  They both will save you money, just a question of if you want to dine at 2 or 3 restaurants.

31 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

With regards to NON A-La-Carte dining, is it like the MDR where you can order as much or one of each dish?

For specialty restaurants, like Sabor or Giovanni's Table? More or less. Chops has a restriction to 1 entree per guest, but all allow for more than 1 appetizer, side dishes and dessert.

In my experience, Giovannis and Sabor allow for as much as you want.

32 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

Outside of Wonderland (because my SO does not like molecular gastronomy) and Sobor (as per some people's feedback here that $19 isnt worth it) for dinner, what other non-a-la-carte dining would you recommend? 

Jamie's Italian, 150 Central Park or Chops Grille are wonderful.

32 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

for the MTD which was the only option that was available when I booked, I know someone mentioned having to check out per day... I am just wondering, does MTD reservations only open up 90 days and under in? 

There is no hard and fast rule as to when that will appear for booking.  Keep checking back periodically.

Thanks Guys! 

We have a Jamie's Italian 10 minutes from my place so I will doublecheck to see if its the exact same fare... 

@Matt Thank you for the clarification RE ordering at Chops! RE 2 vs 3 dining, we are pretty flexible...I just want to make sure its "worth it" vs just going to the MDR. 

How often do you see people ordering multiple meals at MDR or Giovanni's? If you order more than one appetizer, entree, and/or dessert, will people stare or will the servers think that you are being gluttonous ? I checked photos that people posted RE the size of entrees but I do not know the scale of it...i.e. if it is more an amuse bouche size but people zoom in... Or it is a regular standard "American-sized" portion...

I would feel bad if we were wasteful and do not finish our food if we were ordering more than 1 entree, though I know I can "try" to see the sizes the 1st night, I figure if I have an idea the size, I can advise my SO... given...if its dessert my logic is there is ALWAYS room for dessert... (oh... this is going to sound bad but has anyone ever ordered dessert BEFORE their appetizer or entree?)

1 hour ago, TheaFromCDA said:

How often do you see people ordering multiple meals at MDR or Giovanni's? If you order more than one appetizer, entree, and/or dessert, will people stare or will the servers think that you are being gluttonous ? I checked photos that people posted RE the size of entrees but I do not know the scale of it...i.e. if it is more an amuse bouche size but people zoom in... Or it is a regular standard "American-sized" portion...

I would feel bad if we were wasteful and do not finish our food if we were ordering more than 1 entree, though I know I can "try" to see the sizes the 1st night, I figure if I have an idea the size, I can advise my SO... given...if its dessert my logic is there is ALWAYS room for dessert... (oh... this is going to sound bad but has anyone ever ordered dessert BEFORE their appetizer or entree?)

All the time. I do it all the time.  You should feel no guilt.  The individual servings tend to be on the small side.

2 hours ago, TheaFromCDA said:

......How often do you see people ordering multiple meals at MDR or Giovanni's? If you order more than one appetizer, entree, and/or dessert, will people stare or will the servers think that you are being gluttonous ?......

The waiters are more than happy to put a funnel down your throat and force feed you the whole menu if you'd like!  As long as you tip well, they won't mind you not finishing your veggies and there is no such thing as a glutton!  

1 hour ago, Matt said:

All the time. I do it all the time.  You should feel no guilt.  The individual servings tend to be on the small side.

Small side.  I posed a similar question on another thread about portion size in the MDR and someone answered, they are very generous portions!

I guess, it's all in the eyes of the person eating.  On the other hand, if you are a nutritionist, a steak portion should be about the size of a deck of cards, a carb sidedish should be about the size of an ice cream scoop.  But veggies would be unlimited.

As others, like Matt, have said, you won't get a second look if you order a second of anything on the menu. However, I have noticed that portion sizes can vary dramatically on each menu item especially fish dishes or sliced beef dishes. 

4 hours ago, DocLC said:

As others, like Matt, have said, you won't get a second look if you order a second of anything on the menu. However, I have noticed that portion sizes can vary dramatically on each menu item especially fish dishes or sliced beef dishes. 

Those being smaller than others?

Yep, or head to the Windjammer afterwards. ;)

I find that if I order two apps and an entree, I'm more than full. I only tend to order to entrees if I really can't decide, which is a pretty of cruising. Only twice in 25 cruises have I really disliked an entree, and it was easy enough to get something else. 

Thanks everyone! ... so ... is it possible to get dessert before the appetizer or main meal? LOL
I know dessert normally is a reward for eating all your food...but for me, i find that it's my favourite part of my meals (fat kid inside...and slightly outside :4_joy:) so I dont want to miss out by being too full 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, DocLC said:

Yep, or head to the Windjammer afterwards. ;)

I find that if I order two apps and an entree, I'm more than full. I only tend to order to entrees if I really can't decide, which is a pretty of cruising. Only twice in 25 cruises have I really disliked an entree, and it was easy enough to get something else. 

I was looking at some of the current menus and although a lot of the entrees look great, I was thinking one night, I would just do a "tapas thing" and order just appetizers. And dessert of course!

38 minutes ago, FManke said:

I was looking at some of the current menus and although a lot of the entrees look great, I was thinking one night, I would just do a "tapas thing" and order just appetizers. And dessert of course!

This is a very popular option and I've been known to do this.

The MDR waiters will basically do anything you want.  I've ordered multiple appetizers many times.  Often, on lobster night, I'll see an entree I'd like instead and they'll tell me to order the entree and they'll just bring me an extra lobster on the side (these are small, rock lobsters).  Don't worry, it's all cool.  The portion sizes are perhaps a bit smaller so you can "taste but not waste" if you want to try different things.