Allure of the seas 8/31/14

BrendaV

• 2 weeks later...

We are back home and somewhat caught up on work and such. We had a wonderful cruise, we were in a promadade cabin, which is one of my favorite catorgoires , inside pricing but with day light and a view. We took in all the shows that we pre booked and they were all fantastic  even though I have tried to see Blue Planet twice now but my eyes will not cooperate , they keep closing while watching the show. :) Comedy club was awesome. 

We did 3 specialty restaurants, Chop's, Giovanni's and 150 Park. Chops was awesome as always , Giovanni's did not disappoint fab, 150 ehh I liked the older menu better, it was good just not outstanding . We tried Rita's Cantina for the first time for lunch Yummy. We waited to board to book our restaurants as we had friend cruising with us and were not sure of their plans . I have also noticed on other cruises that they sometimes offer packages onboard that they do not offer online. We received 20% of each by booking three resturants .  We also tried Boardwalk dog house for the first time it was good but they need real mustard not packages and chopped onions not sautéed. Main dining room was great service was awesome, we did the my time dining any while we like it our friends were not fans. They would prefer the same table and server each night , most time it is just the 2 of us so it really does not matter to us. 

Wi Fi was great, signed on with my ipad and got the one device unlimited plan , I was able to switch from my phone to my  ipad quite easily.
Unlimited plan was $229.95 for 2 devices
$189.95 for one device with my emerald discount it was $161.95 . Daily plan is $5990 and hourly is $29.95.
I think it was much quicker then on past cruises. 

Beverage plan Yikes that is a lot of drinking say someone who can drink. 
I did the select plan as beer is my beverage of choice $245.00 plus $36.75 gratuity's for a total of $281.75.
Hubby did the premium plan $343 + $51.45  for a total of $394.45.
It was nice to just order what ever we wanted but I really could of used a day of no drinking but since I paid for the plan I was going to drink my monies worth LOL.

Port we visited were Nassau , we did not get off the ship as we have been there done that many times
St Thomas ,we took the RCL excursion to Megan's bay beach day , beautiful enjoyable day. 
St Maartin we were scheduled to do a beach day but they had annocement on our tv about high winds, rough seas and lots of sea weed. We went down to excursion desk and they refunded our money and we went shopping instead. 

Departure was fairly painless and vey well organized.
Next cruise is November 13 2014 Brilliance of the Seas out of Tampa 4 nights with one stop at Cozumel. This will be a group cruise with 21 friends Should be lots of fun

I am happy to answer any questions 

Great report Brenda!

• Can you elaborate on the menu changes at 150 Central Park?
  • For the 20% off, did you get the discount when you booked 3 online? Or "magically" got the discount after boarding?
  • How crowded (or uncrowded) were the specialty restaurants?
  • For the shows that took reservations in advance, did you feel the reservations were necessary?

Great report Brenda!

• Can you elaborate on the menu changes at 150 Central Park?
  • For the 20% off, did you get the discount when you booked 3 online? Or "magically" got the discount after boarding?
  • How crowded (or uncrowded) were the specialty restaurants?
  • For the shows that took reservations in advance, did you feel the reservations were necessary?

Matt

I am lucky to remember what I ate a hour ago never mind later than that lol. I do remember the first time we ate at 150 I was very impressed, it was a set menu; you just need to pick you entree. This time the food was wonderfully presented; we had to choose 2 items, a fish and a meat entree. Everything else was a set menu. In all fairness we went on our last night and I could of just been too full to enjoy it. 

I did not book online I waited until we got on board. I did not se any discount offers online and we were not sure what we wanted to do, so we waited. When we boarded we went over to the area they had set aside for specialty dining and asked what deals they were offering and they told us if we booked 3 we got 20% off each restaurant. We waited maybe 5 minutes for someone to help us, I showed him my card, told him what 3 we wanted, we wanted every other night starting on night 2, at or around 6:30 pm. He said he would take care of it and sure enough he di just that for the most part. We checked on the TV for our reservations later that day and they were all there. They did have us for 8PM at Chops but we called and they changed us to 6:30.

The restaurants were not very crowded, I do think picking a earlier time helped; they were filling up as we left. 

Pre booking the shows was awesome, we were able to walk up about 15 minutes before start, and flash our keys pick our seats. Most of the shows filled up before the stand by line was allowed in. I would say only about a 3rd of the stand by line was able to get in. I think we would have been disappointed if we did not have our reservations all in place. 

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

To elaborate on pricing:

I booked Chops, Giovanni's, Izumi, Samba, and 150 Central Park online, ahead of time. The deal was: book 3 or more restaurants, receive 20% back in OBC for the fees. Obviously this did not apply to Izumi, as there is no cover charge.

Day 1 or 2, we received our 20% posted to our account. But even better? We received a 30% (yes, 30%) discount on Specialty Restaurants that we had not yet paid for (ie- Izumi), etc., because of the on board deal they were running:

2 or more restaurants, get 10% off

3 or more restaurants, get 20% off

4 or more restaurants, get 30% off. 

That was VERY nice. We didn't go to the MDR a single night, and canceled our tips for dining staff. The money we saved NEARLY paid for our specialty restaurants...kinda a no-brainer.

Side note: Rita's did not give us 30% off. We asked, and it's only for restaurants you book ahead of time? A bit confused, but the pricing in Rita's is just STUPID-cheap anyway, so no sweat.

Specialty Restaurants, like Brenda said, were not crowded. We were always booked for 6:30pm and some of them were straight up EMPTY.

Internet packages were slowly discounted throughout the cruise, until like Day 6 where it was something ridiculous--like 15 minutes for $10 or something. I ordered 1 hour for and received a C&A discount. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what the discount was, because RC accidentally placed an "old" C&A Discount Sheet in our stateroom upon arrival. So most times, we tried to use a discount, the employee would say "no, that's not the discount." A bit of a hassle, but it is what it is. I went everywhere trying to get an "updated" version to send back to you, to no avail.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread. My wife and I are traveling on the Allure in November. Can any one tell me if there is a formal dinning night? By this I mean where the gentleman has to wear a tuxedo and the lady a posh frock. It's our first time cruising. My wife thinks I should pack my suite but I'm not sure if it will be needed.

All advise is welcome

Kevin

A very nervous first time cruiser

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread. My wife and I are traveling on the Allure in November. Can any one tell me if there is a formal dinning night? By this I mean where the gentleman has to wear a tuxedo and the lady a posh frock. It's our first time cruising. My wife thinks I should pack my suite but I'm not sure if it will be needed.

All advise is welcome

Kevin

A very nervous first time cruiser

There are 2 formal nights.  Men can wear tuxedos but a majority will opt for suits or shirts with jackets.  Don't feel obligated to go for a tux, although you are welcome to.

I didn't mean anything special by that. I just don't know how long his contract is to know whether he'd still be on when georger sails next month.

According to information I've seen elsewhere, Allan Brooks was supposed to take over for Ken Rush on Allure of the Seas sometime this month, but Allan left Royal Caribbean last month or so. Given that Jerome is a substitution, it could conceivably be a temporary assignment. I just don't know one way or another.