Cruising on Independence of the Seas.

Hi everyone,

I'm setting sail on Independence of the sea November 2018. I have a Permobil M300. I read that on this ship the entry to the cabin is 28 inches and the chair base is 26 inches. Has anyone sailed with a chair like mine did you make it in and out of the cabin and the bathroom?

Edited by love2cruiseonwheels
I wanted to get the right info now that I am booked on a cruise.

I don't have any videos to link to, but I've been on most of the classes of ships.  I would think Radiance-class or above would be most accessible.  I've been on three of the four Radiance class vessels and did not witness many mobility impairments.  Doors had automatic openers, ramps at raised door sills, etc.  I'm not sure how suitable the Vision class ships are, though, given their age and design.

Guest toodle68

I can't speak for the big ships.. but as I see it, the biggest problem is changing decks. The elevator use, especially during busy times are beyond time consuming.. and when one does stop at your deck, it is nearly always full.  I see people get on a downward elevator on deck 5 just to get to deck 11 because by the time it comes back up to 5, it is full. 

I think this webpage would be a good starting point: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/accessibleStaterooms.do

Our accessible staterooms are designed for guests with mobility disabilities and other disabilities that require the use of the accessible features of the staterooms. Accessible staterooms range from 159 square feet to 298 square feet, offer a five-foot turning radius in sleeping areas, bathrooms and sitting areas for easy maneuverability.

There's links to show a list of accessible features on each ship

In addition to the link @Matt provided, you may want to do a search on Cruise Deck Plans for the different ships you're interested in. They have the accessible rooms marked clearly, and by hovering over a particular room on the deck plan, you can see if there are photos or videos submitted by members of the site showing that particular room. I used this to get a view of a Junior Suite I was considering upgrading to before pulling the trigger and calling my TA.

I do recall that they limit what videos and pictures are visible to non-members, so you may have to spring for a membership on the site to see everything that's available for a given room. But they seem to make a decent amount of material visible to non-members, and often I've found that videos are visible by first clicking on the video link, then clicking the "cached copy" link they provide below the popup video panel.

When I was on Majesty in February it looked like people were getting around fairly easily, but definitely allow extra time if you need to get to a certain area of the ship by a certain time. The overcrowding of the elevators is unfortunately an unavoidable thing, but there are also good people with compassion on every cruise, so you'll definitely make it to where you've got to be it just might take longer.