Before Chops, Izumi and Giovanni's?

FManke

Izumi is in a previous restraunt space. It was the complimentary place to go for a cooked to order meal between WJ hours, late night meals/snacks. I really liked it and miss it. As for the other two, I'm not sure. 

Chops was there from the start.  

Giovannis used to be Portofino (another Italian venue, just replaced fleetwide by Giovannis)

Izumi was originally the Seaview Cafe.  Fries, rings, nachos, deserts, munchies type stuff.  Free/no cover.

Seaview was a lot of fun.  it was the late nite snack place, and one night in Alaska we went up to grab a bite, the Osmond Brothers (the middle 3) were there for the same reason after their performances.  No fan-dom, just a bunch of people sitting outside at midnight, snacking and having fun!

2 minutes ago, PRC said:

Izumi was originally the Seaview Cafe.  Fries, rings, nachos, deserts, munchies type stuff.  Free/no cover.

Seaview was a lot of fun.  it was the late nite snack place, and one night in Alaska we went up to grab a bite, the Osmond Brothers (the middle 3) were there for the same reason after their performances.  No fan-dom, just a bunch of people sitting outside at midnight, snacking and having fun!

Sounds like they could use a place like that again.

Just now, FManke said:

Sounds like they could use a place like that again.

The Solarium cafe is now the late nite snack place.  I do miss the seaview though, as I'm not a sushi eater and the location was great in the evenings.

I just remembered... Brilliance was a little different.  She started out almost exclusively in Europe, and her "seaview cafe" was mostly a fish n chips type place.

1 minute ago, PRC said:

The Solarium cafe is now the late nite snack place.  I do miss the seaview though, as I'm not a sushi eater and the location was great in the evenings.

I just remembered... Brilliance was a little different.  She started out almost exclusively in Europe, and her "seaview cafe" was mostly a fish n chips type place.

Although the Solarium gets good reviews, from what I've read, people are still looking for something a little different. Especially late night.

• 3 weeks later...

The Seaview Café was one of our Favorite places to lunch/snack at. We met the Officer in charge when we were on the Baltic cruise on the Jewel in May 2004.  He was Russian and a wealth of information for us.  We miss this eatery on this class of ship.

10 hours ago, MAC said:

The Seaview Café was one of our Favorite places to lunch/snack at. We met the Officer in charge when we were on the Baltic cruise on the Jewel in May 2004.  He was Russian and a wealth of information for us.  We miss this eatery on this class of ship.

Completely agree. The Solarium Cafe (or whatever it is called) didn't come close to offering the quality of selection that the Seaview Cafe offered. 

10 hours ago, DocLC said:

Completely agree. The Solarium Cafe (or whatever it is called) didn't come close to offering the quality of selection that the Seaview Cafe offered. 

My guess is that if the Seaview Café was a revenue generating source, it might still be open.

1 hour ago, FManke said:

My guess is that if the Seaview Café was a revenue generating source, it might still be open.

True, but this is the one thing I think is lacking on Royal. Other lines have 24 hour eateries with a variety of cooked to order options or buffets that are open until 11 pm or midnight. I'd even be happy with a place that had made to order sandwiches. I just don't like the premade stuff served at the Solarium Bistro and you can only eat so much mediocre pizza. 

1 minute ago, DocLC said:

True, but this is the one thing I think is lacking on Royal. Other lines have 24 hour eateries with a variety of cooked to order options or buffets that are open until 11 pm or midnight. I'd even be happy with a place that had made to order sandwiches. I just don't like the premade stuff served at the Solarium Bistro and you can only eat so much mediocre pizza. 

If you can pay somebody to make sandwiches in bulk, ahead of time, you can pay somebody to make sandwiches to order. Also, it would be worth the wait to have it made fresh. And with the food technology out their now, it wouldn't be a stretch to offer individual sized pizzas, made to order.

11 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Quick question. On any of the ships that have a "grab and go" type section, do you have to stop at a "cashier" and have your SeaPass swiped or something? Or do you just grab it and go? Just wondering if they keep track of who's eating what and where for future research.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:19 PM, FManke said:

Quick question. On any of the ships that have a "grab and go" type section, do you have to stop at a "cashier" and have your SeaPass swiped or something? Or do you just grab it and go? Just wondering if they keep track of who's eating what and where for future research.

As @arebee said, ask and get. And no card swipe occurs unless you're buying something, like a specialty coffee.