Itinerary changes

jwjrsc

Anybody believe this rationale for the April 10, 2023 itinerary change on Vision of the Seas? "Due to speed limitations and the distance between ports, we’ve replaced our visit to Puerto Limon, Costa Rica with George Town, Grand Cayman. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. While we’ll lose a little time in Panama, Colombia, and Curacao..."

Really? Have the ports moved since the cruise was initially advertised? Seems like a bait and switch situation to me. Announced after final payment was due. Costa Rica for Grand Cayman. Seriously? Three out of last four RCCL cruises have changed itineraries for me.

It is about the new marine rules to reduce air emissions and fuel consumptions

https://www.epa.gov/ports-initiative/marine-vessel-speed-reduction-reduces-air-emissions-and-fuel-usage

Therefore, the distance the ship can travel in a day will be reduced.  So in a way, yes, the ports have moved.  LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Itineraries are planned very far in advance. Unpredicted wear and tear changes over time to the ships propulsion system or power plant may result in limitations having to be made to the ship speed limit before they can arrange repairs or upgrades.

Also, I have had itineraries cancelled because whales were spotted in the channel leading to a port, and the mandated decreased ship speed limit made it impossible to make it to the port in time to spend the day, and then make it back out to sea.

Or we had to cancel a stop because we diverted to another port to drop off a sick passenger, and didn’t have time to make it to our scheduled port.

Point is, these things happen. That’s why the cruise contract includes itineraries may be changed without notice. But, it seems to happen very infrequently.

That being said…since it happens to you so often (three out of the last four cruises) please let me know your future bookings so that I can avoid them. Or at least be prepared for possible changes.🤣