Is it Worhty choosing Specialty Dining

Jerry C

I am going to take Explorer of The Seas, just wonder, is it worthy choosing Specialty Dining or just complimentary Dining?

if choose  Specialty restaurant, I want to choose Giovanni's Table and Chops Grille Lunch.

Specialty Dining or just complimentary Dining? what is your recommendation

5 minutes ago, Jerry C said:

For Specialty restaurant, I want to choose Giovanni's Table and Chops Grille Lunch.

I would choose Chops hands down.  ....but only for supper.  Dress nice and be prepared to be wowed.  They served the PERFECT Filet Mignon.  

SAM_3019.JPG

No Savor on Explorer as of yet. 

While you won't get the same experience at Chops for lunch as dinner, your plan is a good one to save money if that's your goal. Plus you could probably score s discount if you are at Giovanni's for dinner on the first night. I am a fan of the dining package, though, and love the MDR for lunch. 

8 minutes ago, DocLC said:

you could probably score s discount if you are at Giovanni's for dinner on the first night

if I choose 3 nite package, I though that there are no differences for what to choose on first night?

because we already pay $75 for 3 dinner right? or something I miss?

10 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Don't know if I understand your question, but yes they choose the first night for you, but as soon as you get on the ship, go to one of the restaurants or MDR and find out what choice was made for you, if you don't like it, you can change it right then.

haha, just don't understand DocLC said why I chose 3 nite package, I could probably score s discount.

However, as you mentioned, I did not know once I choose 3 nite package, they would choose restaurants for me first. 

so we could not choose the three restaurants online before get on the ship? I have to go to MDR or restaurants to choose?

Sorry for the confusion. 

I was suggesting, if you weren't going to do the three night package, you could score a first night discount. Then with the cheaper cost of Chops at lunch, you'd be saving more. 

Personally, I'm a fan of the three night package as I think it's a great value overall. In addition, I like there MDR for lunch and wouldn't want to give that up to dine at Chops, which I prefer for the dinner experience and menu. 

With the package, you will have to dinner in one of the specialty restaurants in either night one or two as a condition of the package. 

3 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Sorry for the confusion. 

I was suggesting, if you weren't going to do the three night package, you could score a first night discount. Then with the cheaper cost of Chops at lunch, you'd be saving more. 

Personally, I'm a fan of the three night package as I think it's a great value overall. In addition, I like there MDR for lunch and wouldn't want to give that up to dine at Chops, which I prefer for the dinner experience and menu. 

With the package, you will have to dinner in one of the specialty restaurants in either night one or two as a condition of the package. 

oh Thank you for the tips.

one more question, once I select 3 night package, how do I choose restaurants? is there anyway we could book online or have to book onboard?

5 minutes ago, Jerry C said:

oh Thank you for the tips.

one more question, once I select 3 night package, how do I choose restaurants? is there anyway we could book online or have to book onboard?

You'll need to wait until you board to book. Sometimes, depending on the ship, you'll be able to book the first one, but most often not. I've never had problems securing reservations once onboard. 

Guest toodle68

I know we only have 1 experience at Chops, but we don't plan to repeat it.  $70 to be rationed food that is not much better than the MDR was just not worth it for us. I wanted to try all 3 sauces and you would think I had just kicked a dog. The steaks are ok, the 'shareable' sides were nothing special. 

Its great people love and rave about Chops, but we were in and out of there in 30 minutes and we decided we much preferred the dining 'experience' of the MDR.

We have eaten at Chops once on Allue, and Portofino's once-that was 3 years ago on Freedom. The only reason why we went was because we got a free specialty dinning card from AAA for booking the cruise. Otherwise we enjoy the main dinning room. We just can't bring ourselves to pay for food when we have already paid for our food by paying for the cruise.

I will say we very much enjoyed our experience at Chops. I think they carried me out in a wheelbarrow. The filet was cooked perfectly and the cheese filled sides were amazing. Sauces weren't bad-my wife enjoyed them but I am a steak purist so while I did try them just so I could sample them I ate much of the steak without them.

On longer cruisers, I like having the specialty restaurants to change things up. A la carte, I think they're over priced, but I find value in the dining packages and think they're worth every penny with the discount. 

To me, the extras attention to detail is part of the value and if you have any kind of food allergy it's more convenient to handle in the specialty venues as you don't have to pre order your food the night before.