TA advice - Cabin Closeout Store

TWebb

Hello all! 

I’ve been on 1 cruise, booked directly with RCL. I am trying to book my 2nd cruise. Saturday, I found out about cruisecompete dot com. I listed my cruise there so that I could receive quotes. So far I have received 3. 

The best deal is with an agent at Cabin Closeout Store. On CruiseCompete they have a 99% positive rating with 392 reviews. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, booking with them? 

I just finished reading the recent long thread about someone being charged in an odd way (a portion to RCL and a portion to the agent’s site). If this happens, I am fine with paying a commission since the cruise is cheaper with them. I am hoping to find some people that have booked with them and have already gone on their cruise.

Was everything fine? Am I safe to book with them?

Thanks in advance! 

I have booked directly through RCI and through another large online travel agency. I now use a full service TA (MEI which sponsors this website).

I recommend the full service TA, but can see why many book directly.

I had a bad experience with the large online site when there were cruise cancellations that required rebooking.  It ended up taking a lot of my time.  

trying to get rebooked and it was a problem because Royal would not deal with me directly, and the inexperienced "TA's" at the online site didn't really know how to fix my issue.  I would have been better dealing directly with Royal.

I use the full service TA mainly to deal with issues that come up.  

Just my advice nothing more... if everything goes smoothly there should be no issue.  If you have issues or you want to know something or you want something changed you most likely will have issues.  I book directly with the cruise line then move mine to Costo Travel because they give me a rebate Costco card and their agents are paid by the hour to take care of me.  I am able to do this because I know exactly what I want and like doing lots of research.  If I was not sure I would be going with a well know travel agent that know everything and will walk me though my purchase.  A cruise is a few thousand dollars and I do not think it is worth saving a couple hundred dollars and risk having issues and a headache.

Just my opinion

• 10 months later...

I have used Cabin Closeout and recommend them. They have agency prices, most refundable, no one else has. You have to compare because the agency fares are not combinable with most on board credit offers. Easy to work with and professional. I have no financial interest in their business.