First Cruise....8 more days to go!

KellsBells71

Finally after 3 long years of cancelling due to COVID, we are finally taking our very first cruise!!  Sailing out of PR and visiting, St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Maarteen, St. Kitts, St. Lucia & Barbados!  Since it's our first cruise I don't have anything to compare it to, so for me the ship (Voyager) will be amazing!  One thing I knew that I wanted was a balcony room, as for me I need to see the light outside.  I picked middle of the ship and 6th floor.  However I just realized that we are one floor above the Promenade......hope that's not an issue; LOL.if it is, lesson learned. Decided not to purchase the drink package since we have no at sea days; we are at a port every day.  Again, I'm sure there will be lots of "lessons learned" along the way.  I've already started to pack and I'm pretty sure I'm overpacking; knowing that I can do laundry on the ship.....I'm sure from today until we leave I'll be rethinking my clothing options many many times over!  Feel free to give us any advice; everything and anything is welcomed!

Nice! 😀

I haven't been to St Kitts or St Croix but I love your other four ports.

Voyager class ships are the sweet point for us. Big enough that there's plenty to do (we love the promenade, the ice show and watching people on the flowrider) but without the high price tag that comes with bells and whistles that we don't need on the bigger ships.

I wouldn't worry about noise from the promenade. Unless you're right above the pub you can be pretty sure you won't hear any noise at all. Public spaces above you can be noisy, so that's something to watch out for on any future cruises you book. It won't be an issue on this one as you'll have cabins above.

Note that you can't do self-service laundry on Royal's ships and the prices for them to do it for you are not cheap. But you can avoid overpacking (to a certain extent) if you take mix-and-match items that you can wear more than once each.

One huge piece of advice is to relax and not try to do absolutely everything. When you're on your first cruise there's always that notion you might be missing out on something because there's so much going on but it's impossible to fit everything in, so the trick is just to pick the things you most want you do so you don't wear yourselves out.

Have a fabulous time!

1 hour ago, KellsBells71 said:

Finally after 3 long years of cancelling due to COVID, we are finally taking our very first cruise!!  Sailing out of PR and visiting, St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Maarteen, St. Kitts, St. Lucia & Barbados!  Since it's our first cruise I don't have anything to compare it to, so for me the ship (Voyager) will be amazing!  One thing I knew that I wanted was a balcony room, as for me I need to see the light outside.  I picked middle of the ship and 6th floor.  However I just realized that we are one floor above the Promenade......hope that's not an issue; LOL.if it is, lesson learned. Decided not to purchase the drink package since we have no at sea days; we are at a port every day.  Again, I'm sure there will be lots of "lessons learned" along the way.  I've already started to pack and I'm pretty sure I'm overpacking; knowing that I can do laundry on the ship.....I'm sure from today until we leave I'll be rethinking my clothing options many many times over!  Feel free to give us any advice; everything and anything is welcomed!

Congrats and I hope you have a wonderful time.  You should not have any problems from the Promenade being in a balcony.  The rooms that get some noise are the interior Promenade rooms that overlook it -- but even those rooms are not too bad noise wise.

Biggest word of advice is two parts -- multiport usb chargers as plugs are limited in the room, and aloe vera in case you get a little too much sun shine on day.

Have Fun!!

Hi @KellsBells71!  Have an amazing time! Some advice you will likely hear from everyone... be flexible (sometimes activities are cancelled or the weather does not cooperate), don't worry about doing everything (as @FionaMG mentioned), and make sure to find the time throughout your cruise to just unplug, relax, and take it all in... 😎

Have a great time!  Your itinerary sounds amazing, and you'll have to report back after the trip to fill us in.  I tend to overpack as well, and I really intend to cut down on my next cruise.  My advise to you would be to remove at least 2 outfits from your bag; for some reason, I tend to rewear outfits even with fresh clothes available.  Not sure why I pack multiple swimsuits and cover-ups when I am not a water person and never even get in the pool/ocean.  I will only pack 1 going forward.  I did get chilled on our last cruise, so recommend a light cardigan or sweatshirt.