Cell phone usage

Sorry if this is a dumb question, we haven't cruised in several years.  Last time we cruised, we were told to put our phones on airplane mode or keep them turned off completely to avoid extra charges (maybe called roaming if i remember correctly).  But now, with the Royal App being necessary to use for various things (we are not purchasing the wifi package). Are we still in danger of having extra charges on our cell bill the following month?

Thanks to anyone younger and wiser for answering.

You should keep your phone on airplane mode not to incur expensive charges and you can you still use the Royal app on wifi. Here's a copy/paste from the website

Q

Do I need to have an internet package to use the Royal Caribbean app?

A

No, you do not need an internet package to use the app.

Once onboard, connect to ship-WiFi to use the app for free without an internet package or the use of roaming/data services from your carrier.

2 hours ago, Pam Researcher said:

We are taking our grandsons on a cruise.  I'll have them download the app to their phones, but will they need to create their own account in the app?  If so, will they be able to link up with my account and itinerary?

My son was 2 weeks shy of 13 on our last cruise so he couldn't have his own account but kept wanting to see the app on my phone to check the schedule and other information. I finally just signed him in with my account on his phone to see what would happen (warning him not to change anything I had reserved or marked in there!). It didn't log me out or anything - we were just both logged into my account on the two phones.