Galveston parking clarification

_1stTimer

We've cruised out of Galveston 8 times the last was last December so before the new terminal.  Reservations make it faster to get parked and on your way because it is pre-paid and you just show your receipt get your hang tag and follow the directions as to where to park.  You also used to get a small discount for booking ahead.  There has been a separate line to pay once you are there and it just slows you down.

13 minutes ago, Xtentions said:

We've cruised out of Galveston 8 times the last was last December so before the new terminal.  Reservations make it faster to get parked and on your way because it is pre-paid and you just show your receipt get your hang tag and follow the directions as to where to park.  You also used to get a small discount for booking ahead.  There has been a separate line to pay once you are there and it just slows you down.

Thanks, I do know you can reserve. It says $153, so it seems to be more. Unless there's a discount by reserving, it's not possible, or it's a big problem, I plan to drive up.

just to be clear I am talking about the port of Galveston parking run by the port.  There are many other parking facilities there but I have never used any but the port of Galveston.  They are more convenient and have more shuttles.  Just doesn't make sense to me to inconvenience ourselves to save $5-10 over a week of parking.

It does seem that rates have almost doubled with the new terminal though.  I think we paid $85 for the last 7 day we took out of terminal B.

https://www.portofgalveston.com/9/Cruise

I haven't been to the new terminal yet, sailing on Adventure in 2 weeks or so,  but was told they aren't doing drive up anymore,  that you have to pre-purchase cruise parking.  I just went ahead and pre purchased a spot in the North Lot, nice and close to the terminal.

Use discount code  GRANDOPENING22  for $20 off parking at terminal 10

2 hours ago, Keanoknick said:

I haven't been to the new terminal yet, sailing on Adventure in 2 weeks or so,  but was told they aren't doing drive up anymore,  that you have to pre-purchase cruise parking.  I just went ahead and pre purchased a spot in the North Lot, nice and close to the terminal.

Use discount code  GRANDOPENING22  for $20 off parking at terminal 10

Thanks! I called the port parking number before reading this, and a lady said the base price for 7 days is $140 either way, but you get that discount you mention if you reserve. It's still possible to drive up, though. 

Their site lists economy parking but that's the Carnival lot. Apparently they haven't updated their listing for the new terminal parking.

Allure alone, replacing Liberty was an increase of ~48% capacity over Royal's previous big ship out of Galveston.  Then in the future throw some other ships into Terminal 2, which was vacated by Royal and you can see the problem.  Galveston Wharves has set the price with their new lots at Terminal 10, and then the private lot operators raised their prices to just under that, which is where they were percentage wise the Official parking before the new terminal was built.  Another factor is the proximity of private parking to Terminals 1 &2 (old terminals).  I belive if you price out the parking for say a Carnival cruise out of Terminal 1, that price is still comparable to what is was 6-9 months ago.

I reserved online for our cruise last week. We had north covered parking and were literally parked right across the street from the main entrance to the new terminal. The porters were standing in the bus area and offered to take our bags, and they did ( I tipped them about $5 per bag). The walk was extremely short. I think I paid $140, but was worth it in my opinion because it was covered and I did not have to worry about hauling luggage on a shuttle. 

Been really good so far. It was mid 70s to mid 80s in Mexico. Smooth sailing on the seas and even though I the sailing is near capacity, it doesn’t feel crowded. The Neighborhoods concept does such a good job of breaking up the crowds. Even at the elevators! Allure looks good - not showing her age, IMO. Air conditioning in the room takes a bit to kick in … that’s the only negative I have.

I saw the Aqua Theater show on Harmony 3 years ago and the one here is just great as well!

Also, NextCruise has a new booking offer that I took advantage of (kiddo wants to sail Icon next… can’t blame her after seeing the docus onboard about it). Reduced ($200) deposit, and you don’t have to chose your sailing - booking can be delayed up to 12 months. 

13 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

Also, NextCruise has a new booking offer that I took advantage of (kiddo wants to sail Icon next… can’t blame her after seeing the docus onboard about it). Reduced ($200) deposit, and you don’t have to chose your sailing - booking can be delayed up to 12 months. 

Read the fine print on that.  Earlier in the month it was “must book within 60 days to keep the NEXTCRUISE OBC”, if booked after 60 days you lose that OBC

On 12/21/2022 at 6:46 PM, _1stTimer said:
On 12/22/2022 at 11:51 PM, Pattycruise said:

Read the fine print on that.  Earlier in the month it was “must book within 60 days to keep the NEXTCRUISE OBC”, if booked after 60 days you lose that OBC

That’s fine - we will probably figure out in the next 2 months where to go next. And even if not, it was nice to not have to make a decision “now” about when and where to go next, because we are always trying to get other family & friends to join us, and it’s difficult to make those decisions if they aren’t already on the ship with us 🙂