Magic Carpet “Dinner on the Edge”

SpicyCherry

A dining option popped up in my Cruise Planner, Dinner on the Edge, on the Magic Carpet, that can be booked for our sailing on Edge in December. I have never heard anything about this dining experience, nor did they have a Sample Menu to look at. Anyone ever book this? Anyone have a sample of the menu? Is it different than just booking dinner there once onboard? Thanks.

19 hours ago, SpicyCherry said:

A dining option popped up in my Cruise Planner, Dinner on the Edge, on the Magic Carpet, that can be booked for our sailing on Edge in December. I have never heard anything about this dining experience, nor did they have a Sample Menu to look at. Anyone ever book this? Anyone have a sample of the menu? Is it different than just booking dinner there once onboard? Thanks.

I don't have a menu, but sailing on Apex in 2 days.   If it comes up on the planner, I can snap and post.   I do know the meals are all prepared in the Luminae galley.  There is also a lunch option (weather permitting), that has a lower cost.   If winds are too high, it's not used as a bar/restaurant.   BUT, it's a great bar space in the evening.    People forget its out there.

2 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I don't have a menu, but sailing on Apex in 2 days.   If it comes up on the planner, I can snap and post.   I do know the meals are all prepared in the Luminae galley.  There is also a lunch option (weather permitting), that has a lower cost.   If winds are too high, it's not used as a bar/restaurant.   BUT, it's a great bar space in the evening.    People forget its out there.

Thanks @cruisellama. I was thinking since it shows up under Specialty Dining Experience, it would be akin to a Chef’s Table kind of thing. Anything you could find out would be great. I sail on Dec 2 on Edge. Enjoy Apex!!

• 2 months later...

As a follow
up, in case anybody is wondering, the Dinner on the Edge(Magic Carpet) was really nice. I must say though, that although the food was decent, it really was the atmosphere that made the experience special. Our dining time was just before sunset so we were able to enjoy a nice sunset while we dined.

The experience is not like Chef's Table and I'm not sure if everyone on the Magic Carpet that evening had the same menu. 

One strange thing that happened is that right before dessert was served, the Host and the Chef came over to our table and spoke to us as well as the couple at the table next to us. They asked how our meal was and to offer a 'special' on the cost of the dinner. All of us were a little confused, but said "OK"!! The next day we checked our account but didn't see any change. We waited one more day then asked the Suite Concierge to look into it. They did verify it was a valid offer and said they would credit our account for the difference. 

I would recommend the Magic Carpet for sunset views and al fresco dining. An example of the menu is attached below:

20221206_181050[7093].jpg

2 hours ago, SpicyCherry said:

As a follow
up, in case anybody is wondering, the Dinner on the Edge(Magic Carpet) was really nice. I must say though, that although the food was decent, it really was the atmosphere that made the experience special. Our dining time was just before sunset so we were able to enjoy a nice sunset while we dined.

The experience is not like Chef's Table and I'm not sure if everyone on the Magic Carpet that evening had the same menu. 

One strange thing that happened is that right before dessert was served, the Host and the Chef came over to our table and spoke to us as well as the couple at the table next to us. They asked how our meal was and to offer a 'special' on the cost of the dinner. All of us were a little confused, but said "OK"!! The next day we checked our account but didn't see any change. We waited one more day then asked the Suite Concierge to look into it. They did verify it was a valid offer and said they would credit our account for the difference. 

I would recommend the Magic Carpet for sunset views and al fresco dining. An example of the menu is attached below:

20221206_181050[7093].jpg

Thank you for the review and feedback.  Glad you enjoyed it!

1 hour ago, rjweber3 said:

We are booked on Apex in May. Looked for this experience. It was only available on embarkation day in Amsterdam. I am beginning to believe that they don't offer it except on port days. I suspect it is too windy while at sea.

Your suspicion is correct - winds control how much activity can be supported.   We've been on a couple of cruises were it was too windy for any dinners .   Very wary of allowing material getting blown around (napkins etc).

21 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Your suspicion is correct - winds control how much activity can be supported.   We've been on a couple of cruises were it was too windy for any dinners .   Very wary of allowing material getting blown around (napkins etc).

Our dinner was scheduled on an evening while we were still in port. It was a 5:00p reservation and the ship was due to depart at 7:00p. So we had no wind issues at all.