Newbie question: Odyssey of the Seas Port Everglades embarkation/parking

BethW

This is our first time on any cruise, ever. I am pretty OCD and would like to know every detail of what the embarkation process is like. There are 9 of us cruising, all adults. We are all arriving on Friday, the day before embarkation. 7 of us are flying in, 2 are driving, so we will have 1 car that can hold a max of 5 people. We're staying at the SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, so very close to Port Everglades. 

I'm thinking we can take one carload of people to the port, drop them off, go back to the hotel for the second carload of people, drop them off, then someone parks the car at the terminal. Is this a dumb idea? It's the "drop them off" part that I'm worried about as I don't know anything about this process. Would that take way too long? Is it like an airport where there's a lane for drop-off or is it more involved? 

Any specific details anyone can provide about how the drop-off/parking/embarkation process works for Odyssey of the Seas Port Everglades is most appreciated!

I would suggest splitting your party between the one vehicle that is driving and parking at the port and put the rest of your party in an Uber or Lyft.  Drop off will be in the same place. You drop off passengers and luggage before parking. Port Everglades has a surface lot adjacent to the terminal.

The issue with Port Everglades is that there is a security checkpoint to enter the port, so traffic tends to bottleneck right there at the entrance. That would potentially hold you up a bit in the first run to drop off people. 

Agree with the suggestion above to put some of the party into another transport.  The process @BethW mentioned is feasible but is that really what you want to do? 

Drop off will not be an issue, and returning to the hotel is not much of a time loss but both trips into the port area could encounter some traffic/delays. The major factor is those waiting at the port.  The folks waiting at the hotel for the second trip, while the first group is dropped, will not have any issue.  Those at the port are sort of stuck in limbo while waiting for the second group. 

Not sure how the reservations are setup across the group but if the right parties are together, the first group certainly could go through the check in process and everyone meet up on the ship.  Is that what you wanted? 

If you wanted the group together for the whole boarding process, there really is not a great spot for the first group to wait for the second group.  There is an upstairs hall that the first group could sit at while waiting for the second group.  They would go through security and the check-in and just wait there before boarding. 

There are a few potential things to consider if boarding in two separate groups.  First is that OK with the whole group or did you want to be all together through out the process?  Second, there is a boarding photo opportunity.  Would you even want a boarding photo and if so do you want one of the whole group together?  And finally, easier to manage, but will all the right people be in all the right places for check-in/boarding in the two group scenario.  If any bags, people or paperwork are not in the right bunch, it can be worked out but may not be as easy as the one group scenario.

Thank you @AshleyDillo and @ScooterScott22! It will probably be easier on everyone for all of us to be together for the whole boarding process. Again, all adults, but I'm the mom and they're the "kids" and I think we will all be more comfortable if we are all together so I will take your advice and put some of us into the hotel transport. It will cost a little more for that hotel room but I think it will be worth it. I appreciate your explanations!