Suite/non-suite traveling in same group questions

Sunny_D

I am curious how other cruisers have handled the “suite and non suite guests in same party” situation. I know every family/group is different, but I’d like to hear all responses. Do those of you in suites forgo perks like priority boarding to stay with non-suite members in the terminal? Do you eat at Coastal Kitchen sometimes (or all the time) even though they can’t? Have any of you in non-suite cabins ever felt a suite-purchasing family member was inconsiderate for partaking in too many suite-only perks while traveling with you?

We purchased the last CL suite on our Allure sailing, and by the time my husband decided to surprise his brother for his birthday and buy him and SIL a cabin, balcony was the highest category left. So I’d love to hear stories, advice, etc from anyone who’s experienced this situation before. Thanks!

My experience was a bit different because some of my kids were in my suite and some were in my parent's balcony (thought we were adopting another child, so we had to upgrade our balcony to a junior suite that fit 5).  As far as boarding went - there wasn't a line when we got there so that didn't matter.  We never tried to get dinner reservations at Coastal Kitchen, which I was bummed about but I figured I shouldn't ditch half the kids. 

So really we didn't take advantage of any of the perks.  BUT - if it wasn't our immediate family in another room you bet we would have taken advantage of the suite benefits!  Especially if we were in a suite that had more benefits.

@Sunny_D we went on our sailing with the understanding ahead of time we would all board separately at our specific times and take care of muster first. After that we agreed to meet at the Solarium Bistro, not as crazy as WJ yet a great spot to share our first meal. While at lunch hit that Royal App and schedule your must see shows for the group, if you are linked you can do it for all. May I suggest Aqua Show, Ice Show and Mama Mia as must sees.  After that we all went to the cabins but had made plans while at lunch for the evening. We had our concierge reserve a table in the MDR for the 6 of us and perused the CK menu and did spilt from MDR for CK a bunch of evenings depending on the menu. Everyone was good as a little space is cool. 

***link your reservations asap AND place your brother in law on a wait list for at least a grand suite, seriously cabins open up all the time.

Have an amazing time.

23 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@Sunny_D we went on our sailing with the understanding ahead of time we would all board separately at our specific times and take care of muster first. After that we agreed to meet at the Solarium Bistro, not as crazy as WJ yet a great spot to share our first meal. While at lunch hit that Royal App and schedule your must see shows for the group, if you are linked you can do it for all. May I suggest Aqua Show, Ice Show and Mama Mia as must sees.  After that we all went to the cabins but had made plans while at lunch for the evening. We had our concierge reserve a table in the MDR for the 6 of us and perused the CK menu and did spilt from MDR for CK a bunch of evenings depending on the menu. Everyone was good as a little space is cool. 

***link your reservations asap AND place your brother in law on a wait list for at least a grand suite, seriously cabins open up all the time.

Have an amazing time.

Thank you so much for all the helpful info! How do you link reservations?

41 minutes ago, Sunny_D said:

Thank you so much for all the helpful info! How do you link reservations?

If you used a TA they will link it, if not go into your Royal account and where it says missing reservation add your brother in laws reservation #. I think you may need his birthday as well.

I did this once on another cruise line and now I forego. Be prepared to either only dine with them a few nights or forego CK. They might not let them board with you since suites have a special line.  Everything will be a "should we......?" the entire cruise.  I now feel if we aren't all staying in a suite, then none of us are. No reason to pay for perks I can't use, they like the perks of staying in suite, only if I am paying.

8 hours ago, Sunny_D said:

I am curious how other cruisers have handled the “suite and non suite guests in same party” situation. I know every family/group is different, but I’d like to hear all responses. Do those of you in suites forgo perks like priority boarding to stay with non-suite members in the terminal? Do you eat at Coastal Kitchen sometimes (or all the time) even though they can’t? Have any of you in non-suite cabins ever felt a suite-purchasing family member was inconsiderate for partaking in too many suite-only perks while traveling with you?

We purchased the last CL suite on our Allure sailing, and by the time my husband decided to surprise his brother for his birthday and buy him and SIL a cabin, balcony was the highest category left. So I’d love to hear stories, advice, etc from anyone who’s experienced this situation before. Thanks!

@Sunny_DThis is a great question because we are going to have this situation on our upcoming sailing on Wonder in 2023. We booked a B2B on Wonder in a GS while we were on Symphony earlier this year. Lo and behold! My brother and sister-in-law decided to, for their second cruise ever(1st was a 4N on Mariner), join us as a surprise. In addition, another couple close to them decided to book as well. Happily, and to our further surprise, both couples booked a Junior Suite. Now, JS have access to CK for dinner only, based on availability. However, as @Neesa suggested, our reservations are linked so probably they can join us anytime we eat there. But on top of that, we all got the UDP, so probably will not be eating at CK that often.
The Problem: the Suite Neighborhood, including the Suite Sundeck and Suite Lounge….even the Diamond Club Lounge, for that matter. We really want to experience that new Suite Neighborhood private sundeck and lounge. We hung out in the Suite & Diamond lounges a lot on Symphony, as well as that private sundeck area. We even suggested that they upgrade, if possible, to the GS, however, at this point all GS are sold out for our sailing.

What to do? Not quite sure but will probably enjoy the Suite perks on a limited basis so as to spend some time with the others. Our friends/family that we choose to travel with are not generally ’clingy’ so we usually have time to ourselves. We have traveled with my brother and sister-in-law before but not the other couple, although we know them and like them very much. However, having said that, still not sure how to handle the situation. One good thing is, since we are doing a B2B, on the 2nd leg we can enjoy all the perks with NO GUILT!!! But we too are interested in how others have handled this situation.

We have traveled with large groups on several cruises now as I arrange friends and family to go together often.  In most cases, we have had a grand suite and are the only ones in the group with this designation.  We enjoy getting together at the end of the day with everyone as often we split up during the day for different excursions or activities.  We tend to eat in the MDR and get our tables close together.  We forego the separate dining area as that has never been a big deal to me. As for  priority boarding, when we had just one other couple with us, we just had them stand in line with us and it was not questioned.  The things like taking the tour of the bridge, when it was offered, we have taken different people with one of us. 

One nice thing - because of the size of the suite - we would generally host a get together in our room.