Updated COVID-19 Cancellation and Refund Policy

A small policy change took place effective today regarding COVID cancellations and testing positive onboard for voyages later this year.  The updated doc (effective today) and the previous revision (effective May 3) are attached to this post for reference.

Notable things remaining unchanged:

1. Through April 30, 2023, Royal Caribbean will fully refund your cruise if you or anyone else in your traveling party tests positive within 10 days before embarkation.  The positive test result must be "in a form acceptable to RCI".  
    • This is nice, because though they are gradually lifting pre-embarkation test requirements, they are still providing protection in case you self-test and turn up positive.
  2. RCI will not be responsible for cost associated with travel arrangements back home after testing positive on the voyage or being denied boarding at the terminal.

Here are the notable changes:

1.  It appears that cancellations and pro-rated refunds for unused portions of a cruise due to testing positive for COVID will be issued in CASH only, rather than FCCs.
    • The previous version stated that FCCs would be issued by default and that you'd need to request a cash refund in leu of FCCs
    • The latest version only mentions cash refunds for COVID related cancellations/interruptions, but the request has to be made within 6 months or the money is forfeited.
    • This is not a surprise, because Royal Caribbean, their guests, and TAs had a heck of a time managing all these FCCs floating around
  2. For sailings through September 30, 2022 booked prior to today (Aug 8):
    • RCI will:
      • cover the cost of necessary COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard the ship
      •  coordinate and assist with the costs of any required land-based quarantine (up to $250 per hotel room, per night, and meal costs of up to $100 per person, per day)
    • The previous policy included all sailings through September 30, 2022.  Now they are stating that the booking had to occur before today (the effective date of this policy) to qualify for the above protections.
  3. Clarification for cruises booked on or after Aug 8 for sailings through April 30, 2023
    • Although cruisers will still be refunded for unused portions of the cruise due to testing positive or being suspected positive for COVID, RCI will not cover costs of any necessary COVID-19 medical treatment onboard or the costs of any land-based quarantines.
    • The previous version did not clarify whether pro-rated refunds (due to quarantine) would be offered for cruises departing after September 30th.  That's clear now.

The gist is that it would be wise to obtain adequate travel insurance for your trip, as always has been the case.  Also, cruisers don't have to be afraid of self-testing and the chance of testing positive close to their voyage because RCI is keeping the refund policy in place until April 30th of next year.

I obtained the latest doc from this link found in the FAQ pages. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

EFFECTIVE AUGUST covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf EFFECTIVE MAY covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

• 5 months later...

I am waiting for a refund from Royal Caribbean due to the fact that I had to self quarantine in Canada for 10 days. I keep getting the run  around stating that they cannot or do not get copies of my receipts when I email them. I have been trying to contact them and get a refund since August 2022. I keep trying to explain to them that I am a widow living on a fixed income and now because of having to quarantine in Canada for 10 days I am constantly paying interest on a credit card that I had no intention of running up to $4500. I would appreciate it if someone would get in touch with me about what in the world is going on! I am highly disappointed that Royal Caribbean is such a big corporation and they can’t even contact me and show me the common courtesy to answer.

2 hours ago, Tondee said:

I am waiting for a refund from Royal Caribbean due to the fact that I had to self quarantine in Canada for 10 days. I keep getting the run  around stating that they cannot or do not get copies of my receipts when I email them. I have been trying to contact them and get a refund since August 2022. I keep trying to explain to them that I am a widow living on a fixed income and now because of having to quarantine in Canada for 10 days I am constantly paying interest on a credit card that I had no intention of running up to $4500. I would appreciate it if someone would get in touch with me about what in the world is going on! I am highly disappointed that Royal Caribbean is such a big corporation and they can’t even contact me and show me the common courtesy to answer.

This is a fan site, not a Royal CAribbean official site. 

i would recommend you  email the CEO  MBayley@RCCL.com
Try to keep your email short/sweet and to the point
Reservation #
Date of Sailing
Ship name
What hapened that you could not sail
Dates you have submitted documents
Dates/Names with people you have spoken with
Finish with "when can I expect my payment"
Also include your phone number for any follow up they may want to get in touch with you for

BTW-not sure how "no intention of running up a card to $4500 " comes into the equationm had you not been quarantined you would have had that bill.

Good Luck!!