Drink package

My wife and I will be sailing on Wonder of the Seas in the Mediterranean from 25 Sep to 02 Oct. We have always purchased the drink package for our Caribbean cruises but are leaning towards not getting it for this cruise.  We are planning on spending a ton of time in port and will probably do most of our drinking off the ship. We assume after spending 8-12 hours sightseeing, we will probably be ready for a pizza and bed.  We have never cruised without the drink package so are wondering if anyone could let us know if they spent less on alcohol during a Med cruise than they did on Caribbean cruises.

19 minutes ago, Bradinmississippi said:

My wife and I will be sailing on Wonder of the Seas in the Mediterranean from 25 Sep to 02 Oct. We have always purchased the drink package for our Caribbean cruises but are leaning towards not getting it for this cruise.  We are planning on spending a ton of time in port and will probably do most of our drinking off the ship. We assume after spending 8-12 hours sightseeing, we will probably be ready for a pizza and bed.  We have never cruised without the drink package so are wondering if anyone could let us know if they spent less on alcohol during a Med cruise than they did on Caribbean cruises.

Any time the cruise is port-heavy we spend way less on drinks.

We ended up with the drink pkg on our 12 Mediterranean cruise on vision.  I think fewer people were buying the pkg, so we ended up with a great price on it.  We found we were still having 4-6 drinks a day easy, even with the ports and being tired.  We'd have a coffee in the morning, usually grab a pre-dinner drink, wine with dinner and at least one drink after dinner.  We really enjoyed finding a quiet spot and watching sail away with a drink chatting about the day.  Less drinking perhaps than on a Caribbean, but not a lot and we still made out well on the pkg.  Also, we had 4 sea days and definitely drank more on those days.  If you are thinking it will be close, I like to get the drink pkg just to budget ahead.  Jane

I just got off a Mediterranean cruise.  Honestly, the drink package use will depend on your preferences.  

Personally I felt it was s waste of $. (We did Celebrity “drinks included in the ticket price”-fancy for saying you’ll pay wether you want to or not! Lol)  I won’t drink the specialty coffees (or any coffee) prior to a long bus ride to get to the excursion spot.  Bring a refillable water bottle, to fill everyday and Euro to buy more water on land. (It was hot in July) celebrity never took away wine/alcohol purchased on land to store for disembarkation….I’ve no idea if Royal will.   You can also carry on 2 bottles of wine and 12 bottles of water/soda (not exceeding 17 oz individual sizes) per Royal policy.  I don’t think I exceeded 4 alcohol drinks in a day.  As a point of reference  On a Caribbean cruise I can easily double that and then add water bottles, specialty coffees, smoothies…

have Euro for public toilets.  Some charged .50 others 1 Euro. They don’t make change.  The tour guides were pretty good about pointing out “free bathrooms”…normally you’d buy something to use it, so not necessarily free!