Teen Club

Hi all,

First-time cruising family, kids 12 and 15.  I plan to check them in to The Living Room on embarkation day to meet other teens and then see if they want to return to the club.  My understanding is that the kids often use the club as a meet-up space then just hang out on the ship during the day on subsequent days.

• What are your experiences with this?
  • Is it even safe? I've never cruised, but the idea of my son roaming the ship and potentially roughhousing with other teens near the open ocean scares the crap out of me!!! (he's very gentle, but boys will be boys in some cases)
  • Do we need to pick them up from Fuel?  The Fuel nightclub hours are later than my 10:00pm bedtime, so can they return to the room on their own?

Any other advice or comments appreciated. Sorry so naive about this matter.

I sail with two kids almost exactly your kid's ages, both boys. I second what Sea Squirrel said. One loves it, goes immediately and makes sure he knows the schedule, will hang with the other kids the entire cruise, I'll hardly see him. The youngest will go only if his brother goes, but even then won't stick around if he gets even remotely disinterested in doing what they're doing. He'll come hang out with me and my mom and we'll do our own thing. I count myself lucky that I still have one who likes to hang out with his momma, lol. 

Whatever your kids are comfortable with, there's no pressure in The Living Room.  Have fun!

We just got of Liberty with our 3 teen boys 14,15&16.  Have the kids go to the meet up the 1st night.  My 16 year old didn’t want to go, but realized it was the first night that everyone decided who they wanted to hang out with for the rest of the cruise.  My 15 year old perfected to hang out with us most nights or just go to the workout room with his brothers.  The 14 and 16 year old stayed with the friends they met on the first night.  They didn’t really like the planned activities in Fuel.  I told the 3 of them they had to be back to their room each night at midnight, even though the cruise ship said 1am.  I’ve told all of them there is usually no reason to ever be out past midnight.

My 16 year old always makes friends and pretty much does his own thing with his friends while we are on board. There are planned activities and he does the ones that interest him and his friends, but often they are enjoying other activities or just hanging out.  He still keeps in touch with friends he has made on our cruises.