Leaving the kids at home this time!

41m33

Firstly, a huge thank you to everyone on these boards for sharing their insight!

Our family of 5 just returned from our first cruise (12 nights on Anthem). We obviously spoiled ourselves and can't wait to get back to sea! We've booked Oasis for our family next January but would like to plan a separate cruise for just the 2 of us in 2019. Is there a ship that might have more couples rather than families? We're both active 35-40 year olds and enjoy nightlife. We loved our RCI ship but would consider trying another line also. Thank you!

Your going to have a tough time getting away from the whole family thing going on a cruise vacation. There are certainly other options w/ different lines but they are geared towards an older crowd. IMHO it does not get better than the Oasis Class w/ RCI (kids or no kids). There is so much to do at all hours of the day and night, a great selection of dining options and nice warm Carribean itineraries. You just can't go wrong. Not knowing what category of stateroom you normally get w/ your family I would suggest booking something different with your wife (loft suite) to make things different & special. Trust me I'm in the same "boat" and my wife and I enjoy the Oasis Class with & without the kids!

Generally speaking, longer itineraries during the school session tend to have fewer children and more adults. The same applies if you have to travel farther, like San Juan.

We once booked on Holland America over Memorial Day from Montreal to Boston. Because of the timing and the cruise line, there were only 32 children onboard, including teens.

We are also in the 35-40 range and we cruise Disney with our kids (8,10) and we've been on Oasis and Allure just my husband and I. We've had wonderful experiences both times and we just avoid the "kid areas". We love the Oasis class ships. This year we are doing the same, cruising on Harmony in August and Disney in December. I hear that Celebrity and Princess are also good for couples but like the previous post said it might be geared towards older cruisers.

Generally speaking, longer itineraries during the school session tend to have fewer children and more adults. The same applies if you have to travel farther, like San Juan.

I'd add to either pick a longer itinerary or a cruise that is over a part of the school year where there are no holidays.  The longer the cruise and/or the more days parents would need to take kids out of school, the more the demographics onboard tend to skew towards adults.

If you really want to limit the amount of kids, pick a sailing right after a major holiday.  The month of January (minus New Years week) and September (after Labor Day) tend to be quite unpopular times to cruise with kids because it requires taking kids right back out of school.  Most parents wait a bit longer before doing so.