Dining Option Advice - Independence of the Seas

gakarl

I am guessing this is a going to get some interesting opinion discussion, but curious for input from regular cruisers.  Single dad here and I am taking a 4 day cruise with my 16 yo triplets.  Day 2 is Nassau and day 3 is coco kay.    I booked dinner in the Giovani Italian restaurant for our day at sea day 3.  Kids like Italian.  I am trying to decide if I should book the Hibachi another night or just do the main dinning room the rest of the time.  If I did would it be best to do the first night since it might be a little hectic in the main dining room?  Then again should I just book the unlimited dinning package as we will probably want upgraded dining options every night?  Don't want to waste money as well, assuming the main dining is sufficient but don't want to feel we will regret not booking more / better options while we can get a slight discount online before going on the cruise.  Thoughts...

If it is your first cruise, I would suggest trying the free options and maybe getting the 3night dining plan. You want to eat at the MDR (main dining room) a couple of times to get a feel for cruise food. If you get the unlimited plan, you will feel obligated to try and get your money's worth, so you might miss out. 

The Main Dining Room is more than sufficient, it's wonderful, however, I just got off Indy and have some thoughts. I had the unlimited dining package and only ate in the MDR for breakfast two mornings. I picked the UDP to see if I could handle all of that food. I was full all the time and even toward the end of a 4 nighter, I didn't want any more because I had a hard time enjoying it. So, on the last sea day, I skipped lunch and did Hibachi the last night in addition to the first night.

• Night 1 -- Ate at Hibachi early with sushi booked for late...I didn't do the sushi...I was just too full
  • Night 2 -- Ate at Giovannis -- had lunch at the Snack Shack at Coco Cay after scuba diving
  • Night 3 -- Ate at Chops (I was feeling it and only got one side and the small filet) -- had lunch at Margaritaville in Nassau (overpriced and over rated)
  • Night 4 -- skipped lunch -- after enjoying Perfect Storm and the Flowrider several times to burn off calories for most of the day, I went back to Izumi Hibachi for one more meal...I was still feeling full

If you are thinking about this as a first time cruiser, you may be a little ahead of the game amongst other first timers. My take...enjoy the MDR and get to know your waiters...this is one of the unknown pleasures of cruising...they take such good care of people...do this especially if you have Traditional Dining vs My Time Dining and do one night of specialty. Your kids may love Italian food, but the Hibachi experience with Royal Caribbean is head and shoulders above similar experiences on land -- minus any open flames. You can click on my sort of a live blog in my signature for more detail since it is the exact itinerary.

Good advice above. I agree with trying the MDR. I'd also check out the Windjammer just to see what they have (before or after, depending on your dinner time). You never know when you'll find an especially good dessert or something since the offerings change nightly.

FWIW, we love Giovanni's Table and there are very few left in the fleet as RC phases out certain restaurants over time. Also, I know you're going for Italian, but their filet mignon is also excellent. I don't spend very much onboard when I cruise, especially on food b/c it's everywhere and I'm not super picky, but we will be on Independence in July and are looking forward to Giovanni's.

One last thing, in case you weren't aware, you can view the nightly MDR menus in the app in case that helps with your decision.

Thanks for the input everyone. So since we are doing the 5:30 dining time in MDR I think I will do the two nights at upgraded on port days to allow for extra time to get back to ship 

day 1 we will do MDR 5:30

day 2 Nassau Giovanni’s at 8pm - also allow time to get back to ship

day 3 at see MDR 5:30 (also assume this would be formal night?)

day 4 hibachi 8pm - allow time to get back to ship from coco kay 

I appreciate everyone’s input. Stuff is pricey so just making sure I get my moneys worth and not waste any either. 

We took a cruise the summer before Covid with our 16 year old boys and didn't do any specialty dining.  We ate in the MDR every evening.  Our boys enjoyed dressing a bit nicer, khaki pants, dress pants, button down shirts (you know, instead of basketball shorts and t-shirts, LOL).  And the food was amazing and our server was amazing. 

We tend to be foodies on vacations and we have NEVER had a sub-par meal in the MDR.  But I also know that everyone is different and has different expectations for vacations and food.