Check in requirements

R.T.

Is check in required 3 days prior to boarding? I was under the impression that a negative covid test is required no more than 2 days prior to boarding. How is it that checking in is required before it is definitive that passengers will be allowed to board? What happens when a passenger checks in and is denied boarding due to the negative covid test requirement? Will they be refunded or credited for the cruise?

41 minutes ago, R.T. said:

Is check in required 3 days prior to boarding? I was under the impression that a negative covid test is required no more than 2 days prior to boarding. How is it that checking in is required before it is definitive that passengers will be allowed to board? What happens when a passenger checks in and is denied boarding due to the negative covid test requirement? Will they be refunded or credited for the cruise?

Checking in 45 days in advance eliminates the need for doing certain things last minute.  I VERY RECENTLY posted a topic about checking in.  

You may upload documents and other information, plus obtain a check in time for embarkation day, prior to even testing or stepping foot in the terminal.  There is NO requirement (that I know of) that "requires" you to check in early as posted in your question. If you choose to do everything at the boarding terminal, that is up to you.  Personally, I would rather do everything now and take 15 minutes to board rather than 1 hour.

Check in will be done way prior to when the ship sails, it used to be at 90 days when final payment was due. It makes sense because you wouldn't pay for something unless you were sure you are going. With the covid stuff, which could potentially change plans, they have reduced check-in times to half that. The last part is the health questionnaire 24hrs before you board. If you test positive beforehand than yes, they offer a refund, but no refund for not having completed the testing requirements. 

There are several steps to "checking in" on Royal. 

The first is available 45 days out via the website or the app. This is where you will select your arrival time and enter in your documentation such as driver's license, passport, etc. You can also upload a boarding photograph and through the app you can submit photos of your vaccination card as well. Doing this before you arrive at the terminal will save you some time.

At 24 hours out you can complete the health questionnaire in the app. 

You still have to present a valid negative COVID test result at the time you actually show up to board the ship.  If you end up testing positive, obviously you do not show up. You would then call Royal Caribbean or your travel agent and they will tell you how to submit for your refund or cruise credit.

All of the check-in steps are just there to save time when you get to the port. You do not need to submit your test results ahead of time. They will check the test results and your vaccination cards before allowing you into the terminal where you will officially completely check in and then board the ship.