Deposits are being refunded to some, who never paid the final payment

Hi all! 

I just got an email from Royal Carribean that they are giving me a FCC for a deposit on a cruise I didn't pay final payment on. I didn't pay the final payment because I knew that cruise was going to get canceled. In the past Royal told me I wasn't going to get my deposit back because I didn't make final payment. Even though, Royal Carribean cancelled said sailing after the Final Payment date. I was told today from a Royal Rep that they changed their policies,  and now some customers are going to recieve FCC's for their deposits on sailings that were canceled  during the shut down after the final payment dates. I asked Royal for a refund instead of the FCC and I was able to get my money back. Just FYI

• Branderson610 changed the title to Deposits are being refunded to some, who never paid the final payment
2 hours ago, Branderson610 said:

Hi all! 

I just got an email from Royal Carribean that they are giving me a FCC for a deposit on a cruise I didn't pay final payment on. I didn't pay the final payment because I knew that cruise was going to get canceled. In the past Royal told me I wasn't going to get my deposit back because I didn't make final payment. Even though, Royal Carribean cancelled said sailing after the Final Payment date. I was told today from a Royal Rep that they changed their policies,  and now some customers are going to recieve FCC's for their deposits on sailings that were canceled  during the shut down after the final payment dates. I asked Royal for a refund instead of the FCC and I was able to get my money back. Just FYI

We pre-canceled an obvious cancelation that was going to happen. BUT, we weren't anywhere near final payment date.  We did get a FCC for the $1,000.00 (4 in our party) which we are using on our cruise in 18 days.  So, I guess "apples vs. oranges".  We actually had one canceled by Royal and we did that pre-cancelation.  Each time, we got the FCC, no problem.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Can you provide some additional context?  When was the sail date?  Why was the cruise cancelled?

Sure, my original sail date was July,5 2021. However, I did not pay final payment,  and at that time Royal did not refund my money at the time. Royal cancelled the cruise after, the final payment date and at that time kept everyone's deposits who didn't pay the final payment.

7 hours ago, Branderson610 said:

Sure, my original sail date was July,5 2021. However, I did not pay final payment,  and at that time Royal did not refund my money at the time. Royal cancelled the cruise after, the final payment date and at that time kept everyone's deposits who didn't pay the final payment.

If final payment is not made a cancellation would occur.  If you didn't call to invoke Cruise with Confidence and didn't make final payment before final payment due date then it would be processed as a regular cancellation. 

Once you cancel a cruise, in this case by not making final payment, what happens after that point doesn't matter because you no longer have a cruise contract.   If you had paid in full on time and Royal later called the cruise they would have offered a refund or FCC.

On July 5, 2021 there was a 4 night Mariner of the Seas cruise from Port Canaveral and a 3 night Quantum of the Seas cruise from Singapore. 

A short cruise would have a $100 per person deposit and the cancellation terms for a regular cancellation would be a $100 per person fee. 

In this case for a short sailing when you cancel a cruise by not making final payment you would lose all of the $100 per person deposit.

If you had called them and used the Cruise with Confidence program before final payment due date you would have a $100 FCC.  

If you are getting FCC in this scenario that's great.

I believe this is a product of the pandemic where even nonrefundable deposits were eligible to get a full FCC. Usually if you canceled you would lose the deposit, hence it being nonrefundable.

Some folks have reported luck in getting those FCC refunded in cash if they are unable to use them due to the current sailing protocols.  Looks like you lucked out!

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I believe this is a product of the pandemic where even nonrefundable deposits were eligible to get a full FCC. Usually if you canceled you would lose the deposit, hence it being nonrefundable.

Some folks have reported luck in getting those FCC refunded in cash if they are unable to use them due to the current sailing protocols.  Looks like you lucked out!

Asking for cash, in my case, wasn't even thought of, we knew that we wanted to cruise again.  Therefore, I never ask if a refund was possible and it never came up.  I am/was a happy camper/cruiser, so far. 18 DAYS!