Port Canaveral ???

rjac

We are booked along with our daughter and her family on the Anthem OTS 04/19/2023 out of Cape Liberty, NJ. The first stop is Port Canaveral from 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm. The cruise planner does not currently have anything listed for PC. We are interested in a Kennedy Space Center excursion, however, other posts do not recommend this as there isn't enough time to see all the "good stuff" at KPC. So, why is the Anthem stopping in PC? The next stop is Nassau.  There are no short cruises starting in PC for the Anthem and as I previously mentioned, there are nothing on the cruise planner. Any ideas? Will the cp be updated later on, I hope? Thanks. 😎

That's interesting. I wonder if they will charge folks to use the I-Fly and North Star. They do when the ship is cruising but not when in port. Not a heck of a lot to do in the port, other than watching ships and sea gulls. 😎

5 hours ago, rjac said:

Problem is, KSC closes at 5:00 pm. So, if we get off the ship at 12:30 we have a limited amount of time to visit the space center.😎

Seems that RCI (or at least their tour vendor for KSC) agrees.  We have a port stop for the same time frame, and at first the guided tour was offered as an option.  I had booked it, but it was cancelled a few weeks later.  When I emailed to inquire why, they said that that the guides couldn't provide an "acceptable experience for guests" in that time frame.  If a professional with skip-the-line privileges can't get it done, I'm fairly certain I'd provide a less-than-satisfactory experience for my family!

2 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

Seems that RCI (or at least their tour vendor for KSC) agrees.  We have a port stop for the same time frame, and at first the guided tour was offered as an option.  I had booked it, but it was cancelled a few weeks later.  When I emailed to inquire why, they said that that the guides couldn't provide an "acceptable experience for guests" in that time frame.  If a professional with skip-the-line privileges can't get it done, I'm fairly certain I'd provide a less-than-satisfactory experience for my family!

There is a difference herding 80 guests on a bus that can range in mobility compared to visiting on your own in your own small group.  It's wonderful that cruise line excursions can accommodate everyone from toddlers in strollers to seniors in scooters.  They have to accommodate every possible guest who might book an excursion.  If that includes members in your group take comfort in knowing Royal and their excursion providers are thinking of every possible guest who might book an excursion.  Plus they have to, to be inclusive and legal for ADA needs.

On the other hand, if your small group doesn't include such a broad range of potential guests with highly variable levels of mobility, you might be able to arrange your own outing tailored not to encompass any conceivable guest with every possible mobility requirement that might book it through the cruise line.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

On the other hand, if your small group doesn't include such a broad range of potential guests with highly variable levels of mobility, you might be able to arrange your own outing tailored not to encompass any conceivable guest with every possible mobility requirement that might book it through the cruise line.

benstiller-dodgeball.gif

19 hours ago, rjac said:

That's interesting. I wonder if they will charge folks to use the I-Fly and North Star. They do when the ship is cruising but not when in port. Not a heck of a lot to do in the port, other than watching ships and sea gulls. 😎

My sailing has a stop there as well and my plan is to go to Coco Beach. The Line 9 bus goes from Port Canaveral to Coco Beach and it's a 60 minute round trip. Might be an option. There's the beach and other stores/restaurants there.

We were on the March 13 Anthem sailing. We did not get into Port Canaveral until 2 or 3 which seems to be the new schedule. No time for KSC.
We did reserve complimentary Ifly and  northstar for the afternoon while in port. Everyone got on their phone app at 8 am that morning and at around 8:05 the option to reserve popped up and voila! Not the most scenic spot for the Northstar ride, but because of weather neither were running in Bayonne where we had hoped to try them. Good luck and enjoy 

Complimentary when ship is in port. The free times started at 4ish the port canaveral day. We did Northstar at 5:30 and Ifly 6:20 I think. We had reserved the extended $$ Ifly for the kids later in the week on a sea day, but the free trial was enough for everyone so we canceled it more than 24hrs in advance with no charge