On board PCR testing

jansplan

Ship labs carry both.  Ship crew use PCR to fly home themselves when their contracts ends.

Before there were any international guests on board any ship, Royal had PCR tests on board.  Crew are tested every week.  If a crew tests positive for an antigen test they next get a PCR test.  It a guest reports symptoms the first test for them and close contacts is antigen.  If any antigen is positive they next do a PCR test since they are more reliable.  That has been standard operating procedure since the restart.  This is required by the CDC.  They have to have PCR tests on board.  

Since the restart antigen was used for all consecutive cruisers.  Once international guests started sailing any ship, they started using PCR to fulfil their needs.  I personally received a PCR test for flying to Canada in October before the border was officially open.  There were very few PCR tests being given back then, yet they had no issue giving me one.

I see no reason to assume Grandeur wouldn't do the same for international guests that every other ship has been doing for international guests.  

I understand you may want that in writing but there is nothing unique about Grandeur.  She absolutely has PCR test kits on board.  

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

Ship labs carry both.  Ship crew use PCR to fly home themselves when their contracts ends.

Before there were any international guests on board any ship, Royal had PCR tests on board.  Crew are tested every week.  If a crew tests positive for an antigen test they next get a PCR test.  It a guest reports symptoms the first test for them and close contacts is antigen.  If any antigen is positive they next do a PCR test since they are more reliable.  That has been standard operating procedure since the restart.  This is required by the CDC.  They have to have PCR tests on board.  

Since the restart antigen was used for all consecutive cruisers.  Once international guests started sailing any ship, they started using PCR to fulfil their needs.  I personally received a PCR test for flying to Canada in October before the border was officially open.  There were very few PCR tests being given back then, yet they had no issue giving me one.

I see no reason to assume Grandeur wouldn't do the same for international guests that every other ship has been doing for international guests.  

I understand you may want that in writing but there is nothing unique about Grandeur.  She absolutely has PCR test kits on board.  

Thank you very much for this information.  I am still waiting for a response from RC.  

57 minutes ago, twangster said:

I see no reason to assume Grandeur wouldn't do the same for international guests

That was also our concern as we hold an Australian passport but we are not flying home, just back into the US for more cruises. Royal in Australia have no clue, and I can not talk to Royal in the US as they do not recognise my International booking number, so I am relying on the great information the message boards provide. What a great community, thank you

16 hours ago, jansplan said:

Antigen tests are not acceptable to get back into Canada.  Still waiting to hear whether Grandeur of the Seas (out of Barbados) will be administering PCR testing for us Canadians.  Any insight would be appreciated.  

Yes, they already offer Canadians free PCR tests

As seen on Harmony a couple weeks ago:

Image from iOS.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, CruisingOz said:

That was also our concern as we hold an Australian passport but we are not flying home, just back into the US for more cruises. Royal in Australia have no clue, and I can not talk to Royal in the US as they do not recognise my International booking number, so I am relying on the great information the message boards provide. What a great community, thank you

On 12/16/2021 at 6:24 AM, Matt said:

Yes, they already offer Canadians free PCR tests

As seen on Harmony a couple weeks ago:

Image from iOS.jpg

YaY!  Now, I just have to decide if this trip is essential or not as we Canadians have been advised to avoid non-essential travel.  At least their wording allows us to interpret what non-essential means.  I really wouldn't want to get stuck in Barbados for an undetermined amount of time if Canada decides to cancel  all international flights coming into Canada.  Two weeks to go before I have to commit. 

4 hours ago, jansplan said:

YaY!  Now, I just have to decide if this trip is essential or not as we Canadians have been advised to avoid non-essential travel.  At least their wording allows us to interpret what non-essential means.  I really wouldn't want to get stuck in Barbados for an undetermined amount of time if Canada decides to cancel  all international flights coming into Canada.  Two weeks to go before I have to commit. 

So annoying that this is happening again, we got off Freedom and flew back to Toronto just under 2 weeks ago and had very little concerns. Crazy what 2 weeks can change 😟