Jump to content

Parking and travel logistics for 1 way Alaska cruise Vancouver - Seward NB


Ken Edgar
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a cruise booked on the Radiance of the seas northbound from Vancouver to Seward May 20-27 next year. 

I am trying to figure out some of the other details. and know someone here must have already dealt with this.   I will be driving out to either Seattle or Vancouver as I plan to visit some family along the way.   A quick search shows the 1 way flight after the cruise from Anchorage to Seattle is only about $99, to Vancouver it is about twice that so was considering leaving the car somewhere in Seattle area but not sure as parking in Seattle is very expensive so maybe leaving it in Vancouver will offset the higher flight cost?   Does anyone know if there is parking in or around the port of Vancouver?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

I am working on the logistics of our NB trip now too for the June 3 sailing out of Vancouver. I think that we are going to fly into Seattle and take the Amtrak train to Vancouver. Have you heard anything about this way of getting to Vancouver. How were you going to get to Vancouver? Do you have a better idea than the Amtrak? Logistics of a one way cruise are more difficult, but goodness the itinerary is so much better we just couldn't pass it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parking in Vancouver is not cheap.  It's a downtown like many downtowns with daily commuters driving to work and all the stuff that goes with commuting and parking in a downtown.

Plus there are additional parking levies in Vancouver.  Thankfully for US residents the exchange rate softens the blow.  

For the train I fear service interruptions, Amtrak isn't in the dictionary under "reliable" but I have heard good things about bus shuttles between Seattle and Vancouver.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We did the train from Vancouver back to Seattle after our cruise. It was a viable option but for getting to the start of the cruise I would want to research contingency plans just in case for potential interruptions. The train ride itself was along the coast and I thought the scenery was beautiful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, twangster said:

For May it looks like the Amtrak train is a bus.  At least on the day I need it.

There is a "flight" on United Airlines from some airport in PA to EWR that is actually a bus...

One of my friends took it once, because the fare was cheaper then booking the flight he needed out of EWR.  Even though he wasn't thrilled about the taking the bus ride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, karl_nj said:

There is a "flight" on United Airlines from some airport in PA to EWR that is actually a bus...

One of my friends took it once, because the fare was cheaper then booking the flight he needed out of EWR.  Even though he wasn't thrilled about the taking the bus ride.

But did he get UA points?  🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

But did he get UA points?  🙂 

Yeah, actually, it has a UA "flight" number and everything.  Counts as a segment for elite qualification, etc.  It's kinda crazy, actually.  Since it's a bus from ABE to EWR.  And the flight was cheaper than it would have been if he booked out of EWR and skipped the bus.  I was kinda annoyed, but I certainly wasn't going to drive out to PA just to take a bus back to NJ, just to get a cheaper flight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, wishicouldtravelmore said:

I am working on the logistics of our NB trip now too for the June 3 sailing out of Vancouver. I think that we are going to fly into Seattle and take the Amtrak train to Vancouver. Have you heard anything about this way of getting to Vancouver. How were you going to get to Vancouver? Do you have a better idea than the Amtrak? Logistics of a one way cruise are more difficult, but goodness the itinerary is so much better we just couldn't pass it up.

Once I really started looking at things, found it was only a little more (think $35 each on United) to fly into Vancouver as opposed to Seattle the day prior to our NB cruise so went that route.   Before that we had also considered the train or even a bus from Seattle.  Also, last time Canada closed the land border due to Covid but not airport so this was a little concerning with recent surge but guess if that happens again, they might also cancel the cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Ken Edgar said:

Once I really started looking at things, found it was only a little more (think $35 each on United) to fly into Vancouver as opposed to Seattle the day prior to our NB cruise so went that route.   Before that we had also considered the train or even a bus from Seattle.  Also, last time Canada closed the land border due to Covid but not airport so this was a little concerning with recent surge but guess if that happens again, they might also cancel the cruise. 

Thank you for the info. I found out today after a ton of digging, Amtrak has not restarted train service to Canada yet but has started their bus service. I have Southwest flight credit that needs to be used before June 22 so that's why I opted into Seattle. However, the logistics may not work out in my favor and may have to book directly to Vancouver anyway. I am hoping that they start train service back because I have heard the ride is beautiful. I guess if they haven't, and the cruise is still a go, we could take the bus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...