Port of Miami departure times for FLL and MIA

Hi,

Im sure this has been answered before but I searched some and couldn’t find the answer. Due to price on the departure flight from our Freedom cruise in December, I am considering flying out of Fort Lauderdale (FLL). Does anyone have experience doing this and specifically what is the earliest time I should consider booking?  I know we can walk off pretty early but I am expecting lines going through customs and then a drive up 95. 

while I am on the topic, any recommendations on earliest time of we stick with going out of Miami?

Thanks in advance!

The recommendation I've seen for any port was to never book flights home before noon on debarkation day.  This allows time for any delay that may occur and you should still be at the airport 2 hours ahead of your flight, as recommended by the TSA.

It may be overkill, but i'd rather be sitting at the airport relaxing before the flight and not be sprinting through the terminal like an 80's movie ?

2 hours ago, DunwoodyDad said:

Hi,

Im sure this has been answered before but I searched some and couldn’t find the answer. Due to price on the departure flight from our Freedom cruise in December, I am considering flying out of Fort Lauderdale (FLL). Does anyone have experience doing this and specifically what is the earliest time I should consider booking?  I know we can walk off pretty early but I am expecting lines going through customs and then a drive up 95. 

while I am on the topic, any recommendations on earliest time of we stick with going out of Miami?

Thanks in advance!

Never bet the ranch on ANYTHING involving driving in Miami. It’s only 25 miles but it can be a very very long 25 miles. IMHO with the uncertainty of COVID-19 travel related to debarkation of the ship I would think a noon or later departure out of FLL is a safe bet. I was stuck in Miami for 2 hours this am waiting on Biden’s motorcade to pass by so you just never know!