Drinks and Dining packages on Independence

Jkaczano

Hi everyone!  My husband, I, and my 2 sons (13 and 15) will be sailing in a Grand Suite on the Independence in February (3 day).  We’ve sailed Disney but never RC. I’ve been going back and forth over which beverage packages to get.  

- The 2 boys mostly drink water (bottled and tap) but will also drink iced tea (Arnold Palmer, Crystal light) or Orange juice (not fresh squeezed) if it’s readily available.  Does it even make sense to get them a package?

- I mostly drink Diet Coke or water, so I was thinking soda package?

- Husband drinks mostly Diet Coke or water but will sometimes have a glass or 2 of wine.  He also drinks a cup or so of coffee per day (Keurig breakfast blend or Dunkin’ Donuts).  He might drink a glass of orange juice with breakfast if easily available.  No mixed drinks or hard alcohol so the unlimited beverage plan doesn’t seem to make sense, so refreshment or soda only?

I’d also like to have a couple bottles of water in the room for medication or middle of the night.  Are those available in the suite lounge?

Lastly, we’ve booked the Unlimited dining plan.  Chops is showing available for lunch reservations for day 1 and day 3 on the cruise planner.  Is lunch ever included there and is food at Johnny Rockets or Playmaker ever included with the UDP?  

Thanks for all your help!

Jenn

I would say if you think you might drink more than 3 sodas a day then get the soda package. I am not much of a drinker but I love fresh juice and normally drink more soda on vacation. So I always get the soda package and then maybe buy 1 or 2 drinks a la cart. However, since you are staying in a suite you have access to the lounge. Iced tea and regular water is included in the cruise fare and your boys can try a soda or 2 in the lounge. They have basic juices for breakfast so you can get your juice fix in the morning. I believe suites have a coffee maker and of course he can get coffee in the lounge.

The UDP covers lunch and dinner. I am sure there is a thread about the UDP on Indy. I do know that Playmaker's get a credit, I believe $20 per pax.

UDP covers meals whenever a specialty restaurant is open, so basically not for special events.  But yes if there's availability you can have lunch at Chops.  Johnny Rockets and Playmakers will also be covered.  However milkshakes at Johnny Rockets are not.  

I agree with @Ampurp85, the soda package only makes sense if you drink at least 3 sodas a day.   If tap water is ok otherwise, no need to bother with any package for the kids.  You can get bottled water for free during the Happy Hours in the Suite Lounge which are handy to have on-hand for shore excursions.