12 year olds in NON amplified Adventure Ocean

Ange

Does anyone have any info on how 12 year olds will be treated in the next year on ships that have NOT yet been amplified to accommodate the change in age policy to Adventure Ocean? We are planning on sailing Symphony of the Seas in November with a 12 year old and I am concerned that the non refurbished /amplified space in Adventure Ocean will  not be used by him. He was looking forward to being able to use the Teen club before they made this change. Since they couldn’t get the amplification done before this age change went into effect do you think there will be a chance that they will keep the old kids age rules in place on ships that have not been amplified/refurbed yet?

10 hours ago, Ange said:

Since they couldn’t get the amplification done before this age change went into effect do you think there will be a chance that they will keep the old kids age rules in place on ships that have not been amplified/refurbed yet?

Yes. Other than Oasis and Navigator, the "old age rules" are still in effect.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a 12 year old and we're cruising in July.  Our kids have always gone to AO for at least a couple hours after dinner so we could go to the show or get a drink at a bar.  Now that we have a 12 year old, we're a little reluctant to give her free reign in a group that goes up to 17.  Sure she could stay with us, but there are shows that may not interest her or be appropriate, and she's not going to be happy sitting in the pub either.  Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

15 hours ago, Biff215 said:

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Is your issue your 12 year old being in the teens club (with older teens)?

The teen club is still supervised by Adventure Ocean staff, but I think they can sign themselves out?

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Is your issue your 12 year old being in the teens club (with older teens)?

The teen club is still supervised by Adventure Ocean staff, but I think they can sign themselves out?

Part of our concern is the wide range of ages but it’s also wondering if this will really be an option for our daughter. We’ve been spoiled by AO for years and still have an 8 year old who will go. We’re just hesitant to book something like chef’s table without knowing if she’ll truly have a place to go.

Oh the joy of our kids growing up! ?

41 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

We’re just hesitant to book something like chef’s table without knowing if she’ll truly have a place to go.

I hear you loud and clear. My oldest is starting to get to that point a bit (she's firmly in Voyagers).

One fall back option is let them stay in the room and get an internet package for them so you can text if they need something. Granted, the problem with that plan is it makes much less likely they will want to go teen club, but you never know.

2 hours ago, Biff215 said:

Part of our concern is the wide range of ages but it’s also wondering if this will really be an option for our daughter. We’ve been spoiled by AO for years and still have an 8 year old who will go. We’re just hesitant to book something like chef’s table without knowing if she’ll truly have a place to go.

Oh the joy of our kids growing up! ?

You are the one that knows your daughter.  My 12 (he was actually 11, almost 12) year old mixed in with the younger teen group and they participated in both organized activities, and they would just meet up.  We had him set up with an internet based text app (whatsapp) so that we could stay in touch and had him meet up with us periodically.  He basically spent the week with them and even complained about having to eat dinner with us.  He had a great time and I was not really worried.  We brough him at 14 with similare results.

Most of the kids are in the same situation as your daughter (not knowing anyone), and it seemed like veryone who wanted to be included fit in.

Thanks guys! We did buy an internet package yesterday (on sale) so we can keep in touch if she does go. We obviously won’t abandon her if she decides the club isn’t for her or she doesn’t find friends (but she usually does). This is just going to be a learning experience for us all after five cruises in the younger age groups.

Either way, just one month until our first cruise back, so pumped!