Formal night/dress codes for MDR - Liberty of the Seas

Hi there,

My teenage son has dress pants, shirt, tie and shoes but it turns out that his suit jacket is now too small. Will he be required to wear a jacket for formal nights in the MDR? I don't want the embarrassment of being turned away. Also, I'm a little unclear as to what casual nights attire is for teenagers in the MDR - will he and his friend be allowed to wear knee length shorts and tee-shirts (clean and plain, i.e. no graphics or slogans)? Are sandals allowed? Tennis shoes? 

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

A hot topic for sure.

Per RCCL's dress code, they do not list shorts as being acceptable on casual evenings, and require a suit or tux on formal evenings.  That doesn't mean people don't do it, and I don't particularly care one way or the other, but there are strong feelings on both sides out there.

If your son has on a nice shirt and slacks do I think it will be an issue on formal night?  I doubt it, but again, I would reference what they specify in their dress code. You can opt to rent formal attire onboard if you don't want to buy and pack something for him.

Check out the below blog post as I think it may help clarify things, but just be prepared, as when you ask dresscode questions there are, as mentioned, strong opinions, and great variation amoung them.

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/07/29/what-wear-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

Per RCCL's dress code, they do not list shorts as being acceptable on casual evenings, and require a suit or tux on formal evenings.  That doesn't mean people don't do it, and I don't particularly care one way or the other, but there are strong feelings on both sides out there.

A shirt and tie should be just fine.  I really doubt he would be turned away. Besides  we see lots of men on formal nights in casual attire.   Maybe on the Queen Mary but not on the other cruise lines.  And besides you could buy him another suit or sport coat and he easily could out grow it by the time you cruise.  I truly believe you will be just fine.  Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...