Can my husband wear this on formal night?

FranS

Hi My name is Fran. Will take first RCL cruise southern Caribbean December Adventure of Seas. Haven't cruised in 10 years. My question can my husband wear a golf shirt and docker pants on most nights? For smart casual can he wear golf shirt with sports jacket, or dress shirt no tie with sports jacket? Is sports jacket with tie ok for formal night or should he also bring suit. He's concerned with all the luggage because we are flying into San Juan.Thanks for answers and any other info.

Welcome, Fran and DH.

I love the Adventure.  I am cruising on her NEXT (2017) Christmas.  Leaving from PR makes the southern Caribbean so much easier.

As for dressing, your husband would be absolutely FINE in a polo shirt and docker/khaki pants - even on formal night.  The sports jacket would be a nice touch, but totally unnecessary.  Trust me, almost anything goes these days...unfortunately.

Welcome back to cruising and to Royal Caribbean !

Welcome Fran!

My question can my husband wear a golf shirt and docker pants on most nights? For smart casual can he wear golf shirt with sports jacket, or dress shirt no tie with sports jacket? Is sports jacket with tie ok for formal night or should he also bring suit. He's concerned with all the luggage because we are flying into San Juan.Thanks for answers and any other info.

Everything your husband asked is perfectly acceptable for each scenario.  Collared shirt and pants for men is fine for formal night in the main dining room.

Hi My name is Fran. Will take first RCL cruise southern Caribbean December Adventure of Seas. Haven't cruised in 10 years. My question can my husband wear a golf shirt and docker pants on most nights? For smart casual can he wear golf shirt with sports jacket, or dress shirt no tie with sports jacket? Is sports jacket with tie ok for formal night or should he also bring suit. He's concerned with all the luggage because we are flying into San Juan.Thanks for answers and any other info.

He'll be fine - that's what I've been wearing to the MDR on our recent cruises.   My wife has a rule that states we're bringing only 3 pieces of luggage for the 4 of us (2 kids currently age 7 and 9).  Not much room for a sports jacket so I've even been leaving that at home, just polos and khakis onboard.  

I do take a suit but trust me what I've seen pass for dress on formal night sometimes makes a polo shirt and docker look like formal wear. One small trick I have used is to pack a Navy Blue Suit, which can be worn as a suit, or sports jacket, or just pants and a polo shirt.  Like others have said you will be fine even without a suit. One other consideration is that the photo staff on the ships are very good so if you bring a suit it is a chance to get some good formal pictures.

Bottom line you both should be comfortable on the cruise. If you don't wear shorts or swimwear you will be fine. I have seen t shirts on formal nights here in Asia and nothing said. Granted they were designer $200 dollar T-shirts but still T-Shirts.