Debarkation and poor Verizon service at Port Everglades

flamtapgt

Just sailed on Allure last week as a first time* cruiser. It was great (I will recap more later) but we ran into one issue I wanted to ask about. 

When we arrived at Port Everglades Sunday, after exiting and getting through customs, I tried to get on my phone to call a Lyft ride. My phone showed several bars of Verizon coverage but the Lyft app would never connect. Other apps didn't work either or were very slow. My family tried to get the Lyft app on their phones but the download through Google Play reported it would take 22 hours it was going so slow. 

I walked around to try and get a better signal with no luck. I wasn't sure what to do and we had a plane to catch in Miami so we ended up taking one of the van services that was set up there. 

I have not seen mention of this before here. Has anyone else had trouble with no/slow cell networks upon arrival into port? 

flamtap

2 hours ago, flamtapgt said:

Just sailed on Allure last week as a first time* cruiser. It was great (I will recap more later) but we ran into one issue I wanted to ask about. 

When we arrived at Port Everglades Sunday, after exiting and getting through customs, I tried to get on my phone to call a Lyft ride. My phone showed several bars of Verizon coverage but the Lyft app would never connect. Other apps didn't work either or were very slow. My family tried to get the Lyft app on their phones but the download through Google Play reported it would take 22 hours it was going so slow. 

I walked around to try and get a better signal with no luck. I wasn't sure what to do and we had a plane to catch in Miami so we ended up taking one of the van services that was set up there. 

I have not seen mention of this before here. Has anyone else had trouble with no/slow cell networks upon arrival into port? 

flamtap

I have verizon and never had any issues in Port Everglades, we're been through the cruise terminal 3 times in the last 2 yrs

I’ve found at ports that sometimes switching airplane mode on and off or going so far as to restart my phone has helped the “no connection issue”. I don’t know the actual reason behind the problem but have had similar experiences with international travel where a phon restart was usually 80% effective at fixing the problem. ?