Port Everglades advice?

A.connell97

First cruise without my parents coming up first part of December on majesty of the seas, been planning all on my own but looking for some advice mainly on embarkation day at port Everglades, I’ve never had to go through the process of checking in without knowing what I’m doing and looking for tips on parking, what to have ready, and what I need to have in my carryon versus my other bags? Thanks!!

1 hour ago, A.connell97 said:

First cruise without my parents coming up first part of December on majesty of the seas, been planning all on my own but looking for some advice mainly on embarkation day at port Everglades, I’ve never had to go through the process of checking in without knowing what I’m doing and looking for tips on parking, what to have ready, and what I need to have in my carryon versus my other bags? Thanks!!

Welcome to the forums!  I know you'll get great advice here!

5 hours ago, A.connell97 said:

The same things that you want to know for your first cruise without your parents is the same things that I wanted to know back in 2014 when I booked my mom’s & Aunt’s 5th cruise, family friend’s 1st cruise & my 2nd cruise that was the first time that I had booked a cruise on my own. That was also the first time that I had done the online checkin for my mom & I buy myself which I thought was harder RC’s current online checkin process because with the complete change of their website all of the passenger information is asked one screen for each passenger which is easier then the old online checkin system.

I would check in my bigger checked bag if I were you because then you don’t have to wheel your leg gage around until staterooms are ready. If you do check your bigger luggage in I would definitely put the items that You will need for the first few hours in your carry-on in case your luggage does not arrive until after you have dinner. 

The travel documents that you should put if your carry-on is: the proper travel visa allowing you enter the US  (if you are not from the US), Birth Certificate & Drivers License or Naturalized citizen Certificate/Green Card (if not born in the US but moves to the US after you were born) & Drivers License or a passport book or a passport card. 

Also put your swimsuit in your carry-on if your going to give your checked bag(s) to the porters, and you would like to go swimming soon after you board the ship on embarkation day. 

If you are driving to port everglades then you would not have to pay for parking until disembarkation and the cruise is over. Google how much is port everglades parking and it should tell you how much parking at port is, also google offsite cruise parking port everglades, and look at a variety of places that offer parking and shuttles to and from port everglades and if they are cheaper than parking at the port then consider parking at an offsite cruise parking facility. 

Hope pe this helps. Hope you have fun on the cruise without your parents.

8 hours ago, A.connell97 said:

what to have ready, and what I need to have in my carryon versus my other bags?

Port Everglades is relatively easy to navigate.  I would suggest that you make sure you have easy access to your SetSail pass.  This pass will let the port workers see which boarding category you are in and guide you to the right spot through security and check-in.  The SetSail pass is part of the eDocs cruise documents.  There will also be luggage tags.  Don't sweat it if you forget or don't have the luggage tags as they can be done at the port.  The most crucial piece of identification that you need is your ID/birth certificate or passport and your SetSail pass.  Everything else can be handled at the port.

Be prepared that they will stop your vehicle upon entrance to the port and make you show your ID and SetSail pass to gain entrance to the port via the access road.  They do this even if you ride in via taxi or rideshare (Uber/Lyft).  

When you arrive there will be porters to take your checked luggage.  If you do not have luggage tags, the porters can handwrite them for you on the spot.  You will need to know your cabin number.  Do not put anything of value or importance in your checked luggage including medications and electronics.  These items should go into your carry on.

If you are taking advantage of the 2 bottle per cabin wine allowance, these bottles need to be carried onto the ship in your carry on luggage.  Put your medications, money, wallet, electronics, chargers in your carry on as well.  Royal allows you to also take up to 12 16.9 fluid ounce bottles of any non-alcoholic beverage you like but this must go in your carry on as well.  Pack anything you may need before that evening into your carry on as you may not see your checked luggage until the early evening hours.

The security screening sends the carry on luggage and checked luggage through an X-ray and there are no size restrictions for toiletries or bags as the airlines have.  Do not pack any surge protectors or extension cords as they are not allowed on the ship.

It may seem stressful and overwhelming now, but it is really a very easy process.