Bringing bottled water onboard

Krypti

First-time cruiser here! Sorry this is a complicated question, and the answers might well change before our cruise, which isn't until March of 2017 (Independence of the Seas), but I'm very much a planner. :D

I know the rules are that you can't bring bottled water onboard. I've also seen that a lot of people have successfully brought it onboard, either by putting a luggage tag on a wrapped flat-pack of bottles, by sticking the bottles in their checked luggage, or by sticking the bottles in their carry-on. It seems like it's just a matter of luck, depending on who inspects your luggage.

The thing is, I have a 95-pound service dog who's got an over-sensitive stomach from eating the net off a turkey roast back when he was a puppy. It left his esophagus and stomach scarred, so if I'm not really careful with his diet, he barfs -- not pleasant at home, and definitely a bad thing on a cruise. At home, he's used to drinking heavily filtered water or specific brands of bottled water, and I use that water to make his meals.

Does anyone know the best way to ensure that he can have water that won't make him sick without paying outrageous costs for Evian? At home, we go for Aquafina or Crystal Geyser.

The alternative is that I could get a non-alcohol drinks package (because I can't stand low-quality coffee and enjoy Coke Zero when it's hot out), but if I do, can I share my bottled water with the dog? I guess I could sneak it to him in our stateroom, since that's the only place I can feed/water him anyway. Does anyone have a breakdown on shipboard costs for bottled water/soda/coffee vs. the non-alcohol drinks package?

Thanks!

I've never had an issue with bringing bottle water onboard, but I always go in with th expectation that it could be denied. In your case, I'd recommend bringing a letter from your vet specifying that it is for medical purposes for your service dog.

I'm a big fan of the Royal Replenish package. Note, however, that Coke Zero is only available on ships with the Freestyle machines. Only once have I seen it available in cans and that was for about 3 days on a 12 day cruise.

I've never had an issue with bringing bottle water onboard, but I always go in with th expectation that it could be denied. In your case, I'd recommend bringing a letter from your vet specifying that it is for medical purposes for your service dog.

I'm a big fan of the Royal Replenish package. Note, however, that Coke Zero is only available on ships with the Freestyle machines. Only once have I seen it available in cans and that was for about 3 days on a 12 day cruise.

Ooh, thanks for mentioning this. I just checked, and freestyle machines aren't available on Independence of the Seas. (:

Ooh, thanks for mentioning this. I just checked, and freestyle machines aren't available on Independence of the Seas. (:

My wife and I are big fans, too, but I can tolerate Diet Coke. She brings her own onboard and hasn't been denied yet either in North America or in Northern Europe. We always take it out carry-on luggage, though.

I called once to ask about bringing bottled water on and was told I couldn't.  Since then I've see people bring on water and sodas.  I'm tired of paying $40 for water so next time we will carry some one and hope for the best.

Officially the answer is no. Unofficially, in my experience, I have seen plenty of guests being able to bring water and soft drinks onboard. Key is to to pack it in your carryon luggage.

Cindy and I were on BOS, Early January this year.  We carried 2 bottles of wine (as allowed, but never opened them), and a 12 pack of bottled water.  Going through the scanning machine, the security lady stopped the belt.  I assumed it was to have a closer look at my CPAP machine due to the electronics involved.  As she "studied" the screen, I commented......it's a CPAP.  She didn't seem phased, so, I offered, and some water and 2 bottles of wine.  She smiled, and started the belt.  We were able to take the water without any other indication of trouble.  I'd still get the letter from your Vet.  Have fun on IOS.

The Official Answer is:

Onboard Policies
s.gif

s.gif

Q:  Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A: 

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. 

But as I have seen I really believe it depends upon the ship and where you are sailing from. Things on the Asian Cruises seem to be different. I have seem many rules not followed or enforced things I know would have been stopped in other parts of the world.