Kids club questions

MissCruise

Hi there, this will be our first time with RCCL this spring- have cruised with Disney and loved it. We have a 10 year old son, he is quite impulsive (ADHD/Aspergers) so I worry about him wandering off or getting lost in kid's area. How secure are the kids clubs? Are they in an enclosed area? Does someone have to let them out? I know kids in that age range can be allowed to check themselves out but I couldn't do that. I want to relax and let him have fun but I need to feel like he is safe in order to relax!! Thanks for any input! :)

They are enclosed and someone needs to let them out for the under 9 age group. However, on the Liberty, I don't recall a gate like those used in the 6-8 group that my son was in. However, it is in an enclosed room with a single entry/exit point.

You would need to give consent before your son could check himself out, so you don't need to worry there.

Hello, I'm going on Allure in April with my wife, 6 yo 2 mo son, and 3 yo 10 mo daughter.  Will I be able to get my son into the 3-5 club with my daughter so they can spend some time together.  Even though the activities might not be perfect for him I think they will have more fun together vs. going separate (especially for the younger one's benefit).  I've heard you can go down but not up with the clubs.  I called RCCL and they said most likely it will work out but I had to check on the ship.  Does any have any experience with this?

Hello, I'm going on Allure in April with my wife, 6 yo 2 mo son, and 3 yo 10 mo daughter.  Will I be able to get my son into the 3-5 club with my daughter so they can spend some time together.  Even though the activities might not be perfect for him I think they will have more fun together vs. going separate (especially for the younger one's benefit).  I've heard you can go down but not up with the clubs.  I called RCCL and they said most likely it will work out but I had to check on the ship.  Does any have any experience with this?

When the groups get small (like late at night), they tend to be combined but I would not bet on that being the case a majority of the time, unless you are sailing on a cruise with very few children.

Matt, love the website and podcasts, I wish you would reply faster though that was almost 60 seconds after my post!  Just kidding!

I'm a frequent Disney cruiser that is giving RCCL a try for the first time since kids.  Do you know if we can talk to someone and request that he stay in the 3-5 club for the whole week with his sister if they aren't jam packed with those age groups of kids or would it have to be a case by case daily attempt.  On Disney they let our son hang in the nursery when he was just out of the age range for it and stay with his sister a few years back which was nice.  He got to be king of the little tikes for a few hours.

James, it can't hurt to ask as they seem to be very flexible especially if you give them a reason. They were even willing to move my son up to the next level to experience something new as he had been in the Explorers group so often over past cruises, although he opted to stay. Note, though, that they won't want him moving around from day to day.

I'm a frequent Disney cruiser that is giving RCCL a try for the first time since kids.  Do you know if we can talk to someone and request that he stay in the 3-5 club for the whole week with his sister if they aren't jam packed with those age groups of kids or would it have to be a case by case daily attempt.  On Disney they let our son hang in the nursery when he was just out of the age range for it and stay with his sister a few years back which was nice.  He got to be king of the little tikes for a few hours.

Never hurts to ask, but I'd be prepared to have them separated.  The programming are age specific, but you have nothing to lose by asking.

The only way to book Disney now is off season far in advance with an onboard booking discount.  If you do that the price is higher but close.  Some of the peak time prices on Disney are incredible.  I am a believer in Adam Smith's invisible hand, so good for them if they can get those prices.  It really does amaze me that Disney Fantasy for the same date I picked in April on Allure is $9300 for 4 people in a smaller verandah.  That's almost triple what I paid for Allure!  Being a newer cruise geek I find the competition, pricing and strategies of all of the big players in the industry really interesting.  So much is changing all of the time.

But now I'm getting off topic!  I'll be sure to let folks know how my first Royal cruise since 2009 goes!

Dont recall the disney doors, pretty sure RCI typically has a handle at "mid-door" level that has to be turned to open the door. Think that is basically standard across the fleet.

I think a small child would have a hard time with turning it (its not really a door handle, more of a large bar that has to be pulled) but i know our son was able to do it by the time he was 10 or so. He would sneak out onto the balcony to read a book without "waking us".

Railing heights probably about 4 feet or so ? My 5'3" wife can see over easily so it cant be up at 5'