Future Cruise Credits - unused balances lost?

JoolyG

Hi All - first post...

We were due to sail on the Oasis TA April 2019 but due to her little encounter with a crane in the Bahamas, this crossing was cancelled. Full refund and 100% FCC valid for 2 yrs. V generous in my opinion. however, I'm now being told by an RCCL agent that because the cruise we are looking to book March 2020 (TA on Allure) is cheaper, the remaining £1000 FCC will be lost.  I was under the impression that the remaining FCC could be used against another trip as long as the FCC was within date. Doesn't seem right that we would loose so much. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Welcome to the boards, JoolyG.  I agree that this does not sound right.  I would most DEFINITELY get a travel agent to deal with this.  This is exactly what a TA is best at.

michelle @mei-travel.com

Thank you - I was getting suspicious when the agent (Fernando) kept asking me to confirm that I accepted this....   he was getting frustrated when I wouldn't! Even when I told him that others had been able to use the balance on other trips, he just kept repeating himself. ? 

Rules differ in Europe compared to North America so take my post with that in mind.

My FCC from the Oasis April 21 2019 TA booked in North America stated the following conditions:

• Redeemable towards cruise fare only. Guest is responsible for taxes and fees where applicable. Not valid on Complimentary cruises, Incentive bookings, or Charter sailings.
  • One certificate per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted on this certificate.
  • If credit is applied to a booking of lesser value, the difference will be issued as a new Future Cruise Certificate.
  • Royal Caribbean reserves the right to void the FCC Savings amount if the guest named above receives reimbursement.
  • Cruise must be taken by 10/30/2020.
  • Valid only for the cruise brand shown above.
  • As are all requests for reservations, the offered space is subject to availability, and from time to time, itineraries may be altered or services on a specific ship may be discontinued. Certain restrictions apply
  • Non-transferable and may not be redeemed for cash.

There is a catch to the residual FCC in North America.  The 1st cruise that you use the FCC towards must be completed before they will re-issue the remaining FCC.   

Based on this I applied my FCC towards my next cruise which was already paid in full.  I received a credit card refund for the amount applied to that booking.  Once that cruise (Ovation in May to Alaska) was completed they issued the residual amount in the form of a new FCC that I have applied to an upcoming booked cruise.

See if you get the actual certificate.  While it might be sent to your travel agent, you should be eligible to see it yourself and examine any terms and conditions.  PS - you don't have to use it through the same agent if you are not happy with them.