Anthem of the seas

We’re going to sail from Bayonne to Bermuda on Anthem of the seas.  What time does the shows usually start? Are they the same from last year or do they change? Also how can I find out what different theme they have? I went on something of the seas (can’t remember which one)a few years ago n they had a 70’s theme n we dressed up.. 

thanks

You can get a good idea by looking at previous Cruise Compasses:  https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass?ship=435

Timing of things are always subject to change, even from sailing to sailing within the same month's timeframe.  But the Cruise Compasses will provide you an idea of any theme nights they could do.

Here is another tip courtesy of my wife.  If you have a smart phone, you can download the RCI app and peruse it  Now sometimes it will tell you the calendar is still being finalized, but we were able to get some idea of many events critical for us. 

Note: The phone number you use should be consistent with your cruise check-in profile.   I made the mistake of putting my wife's phone number on my check-in profile, so the App was confused about who was who.  If you are linked in the same reservation, there is no problem, but if you have a large group and are scattered in multiple rooms, keep the phone/app associated with its owner.  Have fun!

11 hours ago, Chrissy said:

We’re going to sail from Bayonne to Bermuda on Anthem of the seas.  What time does the shows usually start? Are they the same from last year or do they change? Also how can I find out what different theme they have? I went on something of the seas (can’t remember which one)a few years ago n they had a 70’s theme n we dressed up.. 

thanks

Hi Chrissy, welcome to the forums!

The big headliner shows -- Spectra's Cabaret, We Will Rock You, and The Gift -- are all the same from last year and (in my personal opinion) the first two are not to be missed. Spectra's Cabaret is, as the name implies, a cabaret-style show -- a mix of singing, dancing, live music, and aerobatics / acrobatics. There's a loose theme to it, but as with any cabaret-style show it's really about just enjoying the show and the performances. It does apparently change slightly from year to year, based on comments I've seen here from people who have seen it multiple times. I will say that if cabaret isn't your favorite style of show, then it might be a show to skip (or at least see with the understanding that this is the deal). I want to say the showtimes for this were around 6:30 and 8:00, with a run time of about an hour.

We Will Rock You is does not change from year to year, since it's a West End show that has been licensed and brought onto the ship as closely as possible to the original production. This has an actual plot, but it's unquestionably silly and really just an excuse to put a collection of great songs by Queen into a particular order. The live band (yes, it is live) is fantastic, and the actors really put their all into the performance (both singing and acting) and make it a fantastic show. If you do see it, make very sure to stay past what seems like the final song and the curtain calls, or you'll miss the one song you've been expecting to be performed through the whole rest of the show. On my Bermuda sailing last year, this show had just one show time each night around 9:00, plus a matinee show on the final sea day at 2:30 PM (this is the one my wife and I saw). The show is a full two hours, with a short intermission.

Then there's "The Gift".

There are a lot of people here who really like it, and will tell you that it's just as goofy and loose on plot as the other shows but still a great show. I'll just leave it at, "I disagree" with regard to the last part. There are people who saw Spectra and said that was the show they didn't get all the hype about, and the reality is that it will be hard for every show to appeal to every passenger. You may see it and decide it was great! This is also shown around 6:30 and 8:00 if I remember rightly, and I think it has a run length of about 45 minutes.

Apart from these shows, the main theater will show something most nights but it will vary with who Royal has contracted and what they feel is a good fit for that sailing. The earlier tips to look at past Cruise Compasses will give you an idea, but unless it was from very recently, it most likely won't be an exact or even close match.

Anthem also has a unique space for Quantum class ships called The Music Hall, and here you'll have a live band performing every night. If my one Bermuda sailing is any indicator, they keep the same band there every night of the trip for those shorter sailings; when I was on her last year we had The Royal Swedes doing covers of songs from the 80s / 90s / 00s and performing two sets every night, starting around 8 or 9 PM. Longer sailings may get two bands, will let others comment.

The live performers in Schooner Bar, the Pub, and Boleros usually start up earlier, around 7 PM if I remember right. They seem to go for 45-minute sets followed by a break before the next set. Not sure how long. The performers for these venues vary from week to week, but will all fall within the same styles -- acoustic guitar classic / pop tunes for the Pub, piano / lounge singing for Schooner Bar, Latin dance music for Boleros.

I hope this wasn't too rambling, and that it helped at least a bit!