Coco Cay snorkeling

Kwevans

Hi KwEvans, our group decided to buy our own since I didn’t want to deal with a leaking facemask & would have time to proper fit, we can get hopefully one more use on our June HOTS cruise.  Dicks Sporting has Aqua Lung for $30 that included mask, footies &  mouthpiece all in a nice carrying bag that is 3 pounds. I figure we will just watch where the guide points for people that rented their gear go & go that way. I’ve read that wherever the orange boys are, and to find the sunken “ plane” are the hot spots. Oh  FYI , four sets take up an entire luggage suitcase bag.If you buy  white Speedo version, have shorter footies, so take a lot less room. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 20 May I took my own gear and had fun snorkeling directly off the beach.  There were a lot of fish (at least 20 species) and a few types of coral near the man-made rock reefs about 20 yards from shore.  The water was warm and the weather was perfect two weeks ago.  Safety has improved in that there is a limit line that extends from one side of the cove to the life guard platform farther out.  This prevents being taken too far out by strong currents.  If you don't want to pack equipment, then book the rental online in advance of the cruise (the "at your leisure excursion").  My favorite spot is to the right of the floating mat rental.  Best snorkeling seems to be early before the beach is too crowded.