Check in times

Each cruise is a little different.  You can't board til you check in. You can arrive earlier but may be in for a long sit. Last year I had one I was able to check in and board at 11 AM which made for  2 1/2 hour wait before we could access room and set our carry on bags down...  I was slated for 11:30 check in for this upcoming one but got email the other day that there is a delay and don't even show up at the terminal before noon.

Also could depend what level your C&A is or if you are staying in a suite class.  Those might allow you to gain a little earlier access to the boat.  Once on board, you might just want to go wander around or find something to eat/drink until you get access to your room.  Otherwise, like @deep1 state above, you could be in for a long sit.  Bring a book just in case.  ? 

Most of my cruises have been out of Port Canaveral or Miami.  Boarding and departure times vary an hour or two but usually boarding is about noon and departure about five. You might board as early as 10am and depart as late as 7pm.

In general, once the passengers from the previous cruise have departed, been accounted for and customs is cleared, passengers for the next cruise can start boarding. I have seen boarding start 2 and 3 hours ahead of scheduled boarding time. I am sure unusual circumstances could delay boarding but its never happed to me.

When you arrive, you and everyone else will be excited. Adrenalin will be flowing. Take a moment, breathe deep, don't get crazy. Have your bags tagged with your name and cabin information with the tags that RCCL provides on line. If you don't have them, agents at the curb will provide them. Have all your 'stuff' organized and ready. The curb agents may want to see your paperwork, probably not if your bags are tagged and ready. Depending on how you arrive, you may need to park your car. RCCL staff will be all along the way to help direct you where you need to go. Various levels of Crown and Anchor members may have shorter lines. If you have done all the 'pre-boarding' work on-line, check in will go pretty quick. You will get a quick photo taken for security (no glasses or hats). New technology is being introduced that includes facial recognition. I have not seen it in use yet, hopefully it just speeds things up a bit.

If you are able to board early, do not count on your room being ready. They are often not 'refurbished/ready' until 2 or 3pm and perhaps a bit later. Sometimes your luggage will not arrive until 5 or 6pm and sometimes a bit later.

There is always a long gangway walk up to the ship. RCCL personnel along the way will take your picture if you want or just by-pass them. Others will welcome you on board. If its your first time, you will be Wowed by the ship and totally lost.

Use the time between being able to board and when your room is ready to explore the ship, have lunch (the Windjammer will be serving) sit by the pool or enjoy a drink. Don't burden yourself down with too much carry on. You may have a couple bottles of wine in your carry on. Have any medications you may need, sun glasses, a hat, your camera or phone. Your Seapass card is now your money and ID. You probably will not need anything else until your room is ready.

If you are physically fit, taking the stairs is a good way to burn a few calories you bound to run into for the next few days. During busy times, such as boarding, the elevators can take a while. The Windjammer will be crowded as people eat their first meal on board. People will be staking out spots around the pool. A band will probably be playing. At the same time, there will quiet spots on the ship you can settle in, cool off and people watch if you just need to relax a bit after a hectic arrival.

So roam around, find out where your cabin is, even if its not ready, and start exploring from there. A lot of times I've been on the ship 3 days and am still finding places I haven't seen before.

13 hours ago, jengreene24 said:

We are booked for the May 5-12th cruise on Allure of the Seas out of Ft Lauderdale.  It says we don't leave port until 8:00pm and on the check in page, the earliest time to check in was 2:30pm.  Can we board before that time?  

This particular cruise has special circumstances as the ship will be repositioning from Miami.  The prior sailing on your ship will be debarking in Miami that morning.  They have to get all of the passengers off and clear the ship and then set sail for Ft. Lauderdale for your embarkation.  That's why the sail away time is so much later for this one.  Allure may not even arrive to Ft. Lauderdale before noon the date of your sailing.

You can arrive before your check-in time as Royal doesn't pay attention to that on US sailings, but you probably don't want to show up at 11am for this sailing.  You won't have to deal with prior passengers debarking from your terminal so it will be a little calmer, but since hotel checkout is around 11am-noon, I can imagine people will start showing up around then.  I suggest you pack your patience that morning ?