VOOM on Vision of the Seas

KenCP

I will be sailing on Vision of Seas in the Mediterranean in August and was debating getting The Key.  I was going to get the VOOM Stream and Surf package if the internet was good on Vision of the Seas.  Just wondering if anyone has been on Vision of the Seas lately and could let me know how the internet was.

Thanks! 

When in Europe different satellites are used for Voom on older ships like Vision.  My only Vision Voom experience is in the Gulf of Mexico and Bahamas.   

Unlike newer ships that have the so called O3b Voom, older ships use geostationary satellites much like the ones used for most TV services such as Bell's expressVU or Shaw's satellite TV service.  

The same company "Speedcast" is used while in Europe but using different satellites.  

Consequently in seeking Vision Voom opinions be careful to consider those while she has been in Europe.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

When in Europe different satellites are used for Voom on older ships like Vision.  My only Vision Voom experience is in the Gulf of Mexico and Bahamas.   

Unlike newer ships that have the so called O3b Voom, older ships use geostationary satellites much like the ones used for most TV services such as Bell's expressVU or Shaw's satellite TV service.  

The same company "Speedcast" is used while in Europe but using different satellites.  

Consequently in seeking Vision Voom opinions be careful to consider those while she has been in Europe.  

yadda...yadda....answer the orginal question as to your experience on the Vision of the Seas...curious minds would like to know. ?

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

@Traveler did a live blog on Rhapsody, sister ship to Vision while on a Greek island cruise last year.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9042-rhapsody-of-the-seas-greek-islands-25-aug-1-sep-semi-live-blog

I'm betting your Vision Med Voom experience will be similar to his Rhapsody Greece Voom experience.

thanks @twangster I will check it out.

5 hours ago, KenCP said:

I will be sailing on Vision of Seas in the Mediterranean in August and was debating getting The Key.  I was going to get the VOOM Stream and Surf package if the internet was good on Vision of the Seas.  Just wondering if anyone has been on Vision of the Seas lately and could let me know how the internet was.

Thanks! 

On Rhapsody during a cruise on the same area the Voom was OK , no more than that , I could surf the internet easily, connect to my work VPN which allowed me connect to remote servers without any issues, did not had issue to upload pictures to the blog. but when I tried to periscope the quality was not that good (when I was connected to the cell network it was much better).

Regarding the key , another factor which you should take is how many tendering ports you are going to have , the priority for the tendering can help. 

• 10 months later...
On 4/4/2019 at 9:14 AM, KenCP said:

Thanks! 

Just returned from a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Vision.  We purchased the VOOM package, we could do web email and little else.  We could not connect to our work VPN (the reason we purchased it) and ended up getting a refund.