MDR and Specialty Restaurants on Anthem

Snoopy

Might be a very silly question but which restaurant is considered the MDR on Anthem (looked at the deck plans but it wasn't obvious) and how will we know which places are "free" and which you need to pay extra i.e. specialty restaurants?  Are they clearly marked so we would know in advance?

Hey there @Snoopy. (love that handle, by the way!)

Not a silly question at all. Anthem bucks the usual trend with MDR space due to a change Royal tried to implement on her when she was built. It was called "Dynamic Dining", and had you rotating between four different dining rooms with different decor and menus. That was ultimately abandoned after a lot of negative guest feedback, but the ship was already built and they had to work with what they had.

The four main dining rooms are Chic, The Grande, American Icon Grille, and Silk. The first two are on deck 3 and are reserved for traditional dining, while the other two are on deck 4 and used for MyTime Dining. American Icon Grille is also used for breakfast each morning. All of these are included with your cruise fare, and you'll be assigned to one of them based on whether you have traditional or My Time dining.

As for the other complimentary restaurants and places to eat, you have:

• The Windjammer
  • Cafe Two70 (located right outside of the Two70 lounge at the back of the ship)
  • Sorrentos Pizza
  • Cafe Promenade
  • The Dog House (located by the SeaPlex)
  • Solarium Bistro (reservations required for dinner)
  • Coastal Kitchen (for suite guests only, including Junior Suites)

I may have missed one or two, but that covers the majority if I did.

4 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

For a fee dining locations are:

Chops, Jamie's, Izumi, Wonderland and Johnny Rockets. 

Also La Patisserie, which is right across the walkway from Cafe Promenade and along with Cafe Two70 are the only places I found to get specialty coffee.

8 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

Will there be signage that says a restaurant is extra $$ and not included?

There will be indications in the daily Cruise Compass which venues are a fee, noted by a "$" by their name and hours of operation.

In addition, if any venue is primarily complementary (like the main dining room or Cafe Two70) but has some items that carry a surcharge, that will be clearly marked on the menu.

1 minute ago, Snoopy said:

Excellent!  This is what I was most concerned about.  Thanks so much for all the info.

You're very welcome!

By the way, are you / your family purchasing any drink packages (either alcoholic or non)? Just want to be sure you're aware that while there are many basic beverages included in your cruise fare -- coffee and tea served in the MDR or at Cafe Promenade; water from just about any place that isn't bottled but served from a pitcher or tap;  many of the beverages served in the Windjammer; etc -- things like bottled water, soda (even fountain soda, IIRC, but could be wrong on that), specialty coffees (espresso-based drinks like cappuccinos, lattes, or frappuccinos), and all "mocktails" carry a fee unless you have the appropriate package. And of course, all alcoholic beverages are up-charge items as well.