So many firsts coming up for my next cruise

Marc

I've got six days until my next cruise, and my mind is almost completely focused on the trip ahead.

I was just realizing that I've got so many firsts, and one last, for this cruise.

This vacation is the first time that I will:

• depart from Cape Liberty
  • depart from a chillier port (compared to Florida and southern California)
  • enjoy a 5-night cruise
  • stay in a full suite
  • get an alcoholic drink package
  • go to Bermuda
  • be docked in port overnight
  • participate in a $10K slot tournament

Sadly, this cruise is probably the last time that I will:

• enjoy dining at Portofino

Anyway, these were all thoughts I've had today while pondering my upcoming cruise. Now I just need to find a way to pass the time between now and the end of the week when everything begins in earnest.

I'm with you, Marc. Hard to concentrate on anything else.

I've never had a drink package and I've never played in a big slots tourney. Have experienced the rest b4.

Be sure and give the union guys a good tip at the pier. The one and only time I left out of Bayonne someone cut the metal luggage tags off of my luggage. I assume they didn't think I tipped enough.

Also, on that same trip, leaving Bayonne we ran smack dab into a nor'easter and had the roughest 2 days at sea I have ever experienced. I certainly hope our trip to Bermuda is smoother than my last trip was !

When I first started cruising I left out of Tampa a lot so I have taken many 5 nighters. Waaaytoo short for me now. This one is an exception these days.

After spending the past several hours driving around southwestern Pennsylvania, I came back to realize two things. First, I started this thread in the wrong forum (!), and second, I had stayed in a suite once before, long ago, and not on Royal Caribbean.

It was our cruise on the Grand Princess (our one and only Princess cruise). We had booked a mini-suite, but got a free upgrade to a "grand suite". (Their grand suite was comparable to Royal Caribbean's Owner's Suite.)

Still, I think I'm more excited about this suite than I was about the one on Princess. :)

That's awesome Marc!  I think you'll have a great time and I would love to hear about each of these firsts when you get back.

A tip for the slot tournament, watch some YouTube videos of previous slot tournaments on Royal Caribbean. I watched one on Quantum of the Seas and the key to win is mashing the buttons and hitting the balloons as fast as possible.  

A tip for the slot tournament, watch some YouTube videos of previous slot tournaments on Royal Caribbean. I watched one on Quantum of the Seas and the key to win is mashing the buttons and hitting the balloons as fast as possible.  

shows what the slot tournament may be like. (This video is from Freedom of the Seas.)

The slot tournaments I've done on other ships (Independence of the Seas and Allure of the Seas) both simply required the button mashing. Having to tap the screen for the bonus points that pop up is definitely going to be exciting and stressful!

When I was on the Freedom in May they had the balloon busters and it was definitely an added complexity.

I had fun but as with most things involving a slot machine, I didn't do very well. I should definitely stick to the poker and craps tables. :)

As Marc already knows, I will be in the tournament on the Liberty too...but not expecting much as I hate slot machines and they hate me back. :(

The slot tournaments I've done on other ships (Independence of the Seas and Allure of the Seas) both simply required the button mashing. Having to tap the screen for the bonus points that pop up is definitely going to be exciting and stressful!

Same experience here.  When I first heard about it, I thought there was skill involved but in reality it's just the "fastest wrist competition".

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back from a wonderful cruise and now can comment on these points.

• depart from Cape Liberty

Cape Liberty isn't a wonderful port. It's a bit tricky to get to, and you're driving around an industrial area, but it does bring about a bit of a surprise when you head down Port Terminal Blvd. and finally see a cruise ship peeking out above the structures.

• depart from a chillier port (compared to Florida and southern California)

I stayed out on deck for sail away just long enough to record a video of us passing under the Verrazano bridge and then went inside to warm up my hands. I had a light jacket, but holding the phone (as camera) for the few minutes was a bit unpleasant in the slightly brisk and windy weather.

Other than that, I spent the rest of the time inside, so the chilliness didn't bother me. :)

• enjoy a 5-night cruise

I still prefer week-long cruises, but 5-nights was a good length for a shorter cruise. It wasn't like a 3-night cruise where you just start getting into a routine onboard and are suddenly thrust back into reality on disembarkation day.

• stay in a full suite

I will say that the Grand Suite was very nice! There was tons of room and I felt very comfortable in there, something I really can't say about a typical cruise ship cabin.

• get an alcoholic drink package

I can say two things about the Premium Package:

1. I got my money's worth.
  2. I definitely drank more than I would have without the package.

I can also say that I'm not sure whether I'd get it again, especially on a longer cruise where the package would be even pricier.

• go to Bermuda

The trip to Bermuda was disappointing. It was very windy on the first day, so that made it unpleasantly chilly. We also had our sunset catamaran tour excursion canceled due to the weather.

I did enjoy the Royal Naval Dockyard. I think that may be the best port I've experienced in terms of actually experiencing local culture (instead of manufactured ports like Falmouth).

• be docked in port overnight

It was nice to be able to say "Gee, we didn't get to do this today, so let's do it tomorrow!"

• participate in a $10K slot tournament

I enjoyed being included, but alas, I didn't win. I didn't even get a "Participant" ribbon! :(

Sadly, this cruise is probably the last time that I will:

• enjoy dining at Portofino

I'm glad that I got to eat at Portofino again, but when it came time to choose a repeat specialty dinner for the last night, we chose to do Chops Grille again over Portofino.

Farewell, Portofino! It was nice spending time with you.